How to fix a flashing drywall plaster repair?

Members online

J

justasking

I fixed some damaged plaster in the drywall (with Tetrion all-purpose filler) and then sanded and painted it with 3 coats of white emulsion - but you can still see where I've done the repair. I think it's called flashing, and it looks awful when you shine the light on it. (at least to me)

Question is - if / how can I fix this now and make good?

Besides not shining the light on it ;)

I used a roller with the emulsion, not a brush. But i didn't use primer. Cos nothing on the box mentions primer ! Live and learn! Thanks for any help!

I fixed some damaged plaster in the drywall (with Tetrion all-purpose filler) and then sanded and painted it with 3 coats of white emulsion - but you can still see where I've done the repair. I think it's called flashing, and it looks awful when you shine the light on it. (at least to me)

I used a roller with the emulsion, not a brush. But i didn't use primer. Cos nothing on the box mentions primer ! Live and learn! Thanks for any help!

can you get a picture up? it may help see what the problem is :D

I can't capture the angle of light so well in a pic, sadly. But I'm thinking that all plasterers know what 'flashing' is. Would welcome any tips on how to rectify. Thanks.

Serious question when not shining a light over it in normal daylight or even the lighting in the room can you see it?

If not then it's fine!

As zombie says, if you can't see it under normal conditions, leave it.

Otherwise, try painting it over with brush instead of roller. If the filler is considerably less porous than the substrate, this will always happen. I get it when I use 2-part filler sometimes, but brushing over lays paint on thicker and usually solves the problem. Also; give the area a light sand first to make sure the surface roughness is consistent.

Zombie - your comment is just childish and unhelpful.

t33ch - I've laid paint on thick, with a roller, a paint brush won't make the difference now to it. It's also precisely in the line of light when the light goes on hence my desire to rectify this. It's a ceiling wall join where water came in from upstairs. The HA plasterer didn't put enough coats on and so I added my own.

Zombie - your comment is just childish and unhelpful.

t33ch - I've laid paint on thick, with a roller, a paint brush won't make the difference now to it. It's also precisely in the line of light when the light goes on hence my desire to rectify this. It's a ceiling wall join where water came in from upstairs. The HA plasterer didn't put enough coats on and so I added my own.
:rolleyes: :whistle:

The Tetrion needs priming as it’s porous as f**k. I usually prime Tetrion with Ambrosia Custard. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Danny. Have pretty much decided to do this now (it being not such a big area) but making sure to prime the easi-fill before painting this time around !

Have you only painted the repair with three coats? or have you re-painted the ceiling and wall?

Tbf zombie was trying to help, also “snagging” areas as you describe is an art in itself, decorators used to do it all the time but more recently there doesn’t seem to be many that do , might be worth you asking a plasterer to snag it for you to achieve what you want , sometimes I do and doesn’t cost a lot