How to prepare this wall for plastering

johnnyc

I'm just updating our bathroom which is currently tiled on all walls up to a dado rail and painted above. In some areas I'd like to have whole walls painted and in others there will be tiles going back on.

The attached picture is an example of one of the walls, it's a bit of a mess but from top to bottom you can see the paint (which came off in big strips away from the dado rail so I'm a bit concerned about how well it's adhered), plaster from under the paint which still looks in pretty good condition, large areas of exposed plasterboard and patchy plaster from under the tiles. On the left of the picture you can see a dark section where there top layer of plaster has come off and left the base plaster. The white is tile adhesive which I know I need to remove but haven't got around to it yet.

Basically all I'm looking for is some guidance on how to prepare this. Should I strip the paint? Should I remove the patchy plaster back to the plasterboard? Should I be expecting to just plaster the bottom half of the wall blended into the top half, or does it need a skim of the whole wall? Do I need to do anything different for the areas which will end up being tiled?

I'm new to this so 'd really appreciate your guidance and advice.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    799.2 KB · Views: 404
If the paint is flaky scrape it off. Just PVA or a textured bonding agent and reskim

The zombie mix for first coat.ie couple of handfuls of bonding in first coat of skim.

Thanks for the advice, would you put the first coat all over, just applying it thicker where there are gaps on the bottom half of the wall, or just apply the first coat to the bottom half bringing it level and then skim the whole wall?

Would you still PVA before applying a zombie mix?