How you closing yours off. RSJ. Pics

hail hail

Private Member
Need to fill this out for plastering over but there's no pre holed holes to bolt into.

Someone I know recommend just wedging some 3x1 into it, cut slightly bigger and hammer into place, screw play then expanded metal then plaster.

What I'm thinking about this method, surely the timber will shrink over time and could cause cracks.

Thought I'd run this by yous to see how you do it.
IMG_20190426_132316355.jpg

Interior is just wedge then plasterboard and skim. Exterior I just done mine and wedged timber in then screwed cement board to it

Interior is just wedge then plasterboard and skim. Exterior I just done mine and wedged timber in then screwed cement board to it

Just wedge in, no fixings?

What about the underside of it. How'd you attach the board to the rsj.

Any pics?

Just wedge in, no fixings?

What about the underside of it. How'd you attach the board to the rsj.

Any pics?

Loads of options

An easy way is wedge noggins in flush then screw slate lat length ways at top and bottom to the nogging then can screw both cheak and headers.

Alternative screw boards to noggins screw cheeks let overhang then screw sideways to a lengths of slate lat then screw header to that and trim cheeks back after.

Or dab it all.

Need to fill this out for plastering over but there's no pre holed holes to bolt into.

Someone I know recommend just wedging some 3x1 into it, cut slightly bigger and hammer into place, screw play then expanded metal then plaster.

What I'm thinking about this method, surely the timber will shrink over time and could cause cracks.

Thought I'd run this by yous to see how you do it.View attachment 34582
I’d put felt between the ply and mesh.

• Agree
Reactions: Djr
Loads of options

An easy way is wedge noggins in flush then screw slate lat length ways at top and bottom to the nogging then can screw both cheak and headers.

Alternative screw boards to noggins screw cheeks let overhang then screw sideways to a lengths of slate lat then screw header to that and trim cheeks back after.

Or dab it all.

Surely that'll throw it out even more than needed then a second scratch coat needed.
Maybe not but that's what I have in my head

436FF358-DC02-4269-8FFA-6DD2D9ECF926.jpeg

This is the gear - holds & fixes anything. I had to stick some pb 40mm off something, this did the job. I had a tube of that ‘Sticks like s**t’ gear and tried doing it with that and four hours later it was still wet and loose.

TEC7 SEALANT – BONDS, MOUNTS, SEALS, EVEN UNDER WATER
Tec 7 can seal, mount and bond all common building materials – even under water, eliminating the wait or need for damp or wet surfaces to dry and meaning you don’t have to carry the usual assortment of adhesives and sealers to each job.

Tec 7 has multiple applications in the Building, Construction, Airconditioning/Ventilation, Sanitary and General Maintenance areas, which are detailed below. You can almost certainly come up with more uses yourself.
Bonding
  • Bonding of insulation, even on wet surfaces. Tec 7 does not dissolve polystyrene foam.
  • As a mounting adhesive for bonding skirting boards, lathing, sidings, eaves, laths on brick, gyproc, celular concrete, Ytong, mortar, etc. Tec 7 replaces mechanical attachments.
  • As a sealant for both wet and difficult surfaces. Does not attack natural stone like marble, Belgian blue stone and granite. Ideal as a sealant between windows and brickwork. Can be painted perfectly, even with acrylate dispersion paints.
  • Windows and Verandas: bonding of glass in synthetic and aluminium profiles, bonding of adhering pieces and corner pieces in the production of windows.
Construction
  • Bonding of ferrous and non-ferrous plates on window works
  • Bonding of mirrors. does not attack the silver coating
  • Bonding of decorative panels
  • In the construction of elevators, good adhesion to painted surfaces
  • Bonding of wooden or metal table tops
  • Bonding of synthetic plates and insulation in refrigerators
  • Bonding of characters and names plates on gravestones and fronts
  • Sealing and bonding of containers
Air Conditioning and Ventilation
  • Sealing of both PVc and metal tubing
  • Excellent bonding also on galvanized ducts
Sanitary
  • As a sealant, even on wet surfaces
  • Does not attack acrylate
  • Tec 7 is U.V. resistant, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial
General Maintenance
  • As a universal adhesive, Tec 7 bonds to most surfaces, containts no solvents, does not attack synthetic material
  • As a universal sealant, Tec 7 combines the advantages of an acrylic and silicone sealant, without the disadvantages of these two products
  • Reduces your stock of different products
  • Tec 7 replaces: mounting, wood and P.U. adhesive, silicone sealants, sanitary silicone sealants, acrylic sealants, butyl rubber sealants. Now just one product instead of seven
  • Easy to apply
  • Tec 7 : the high-tech solution to all your mounting and sealing problems

What about this?

I've done a few of these, 6mm hardibacker, sbr it, instastick, base coat with mesh embedded.

View attachment 34586
This is the gear - holds & fixes anything. I had to stick some pb 40mm off something, this did the job. I had a tube of that ‘Sticks like s**t’ gear and tried doing it with that and four hours later it was still wet and loose.
40mm?! You just stick a few holes in the tube and wedge it behind the board?

Loads of options

Or dab it all.
I always dot mine internally.( @essexandy will give me a slap on wrist ). Gets rid of a few off cuts as well lol

No matter what way u do it. U still have a good chance of getting a hairline crack tbh. I'd use cementboard and fiber mesh. But timber felt and mesh will do the Same job.

No matter what way u do it. U still have a good chance of getting a hairline crack tbh. I'd use cementboard and fiber mesh. But timber felt and mesh will do the Same job.

Have never used fiber mesh on sand and cement or even seen it used. Only skim or EWI. Is it the same stuff or a different type used for sand and cement

If 3x2 noggins sitting out like this, surely it'll need another scratch if it's sitting out 1/2 inch plus the timber or cement board that's screwd onto the timber.

Sticks out just enough to screw and stick timber underneath. I cement board and lath the ext then sbr slurry, scratch ext. and plaster board int. Or just board all faces iff internal beam.Works for me.

Was thinking of this thread today so took few pics as do fair few of these. I cut noggins and wedge in. Mark rsj. Board sides n purposely over cut board to trim after as sometimes ceilings off. Mark over hanged board where noggins are. Screws lid in. Cut excess flush. Double board or fireboard.

Ballache hate doing em but shouldn’t take more than 30 mins
595D2EFD-6E51-4DDD-8EAA-14519CD5C98E.jpeg
6103183C-ED4B-4F91-8A7E-4F7D5A047553.jpeg
4C38E789-3EC0-4762-8D0F-06580D6E7910.jpeg
0600357C-966E-4914-B425-78173F50D067.jpeg
2917EB76-A613-4444-AF47-14987574ACD3.jpeg

Was thinking of this thread today so took few pics as do fair few of these. I cut noggins and wedge in. Mark rsj. Board sides n purposely over cut board to trim after as sometimes ceilings off. Mark over hanged board where noggins are. Screws lid in. Cut excess flush. Double board or fireboard.

Ballache hate doing em but shouldn’t take more than 30 mins
View attachment 35134View attachment 35135View attachment 35136View attachment 35137View attachment 35138

Cheers for the pics however it's an external rsj. What I did was run 2x1 battens along the bottom and top inside with ct1 spread on it. Wedged them with 3x2 noggings. Once set, I covered 12mm wbp ply in breathable felt and screwed into the noggings and 2x1. Covered the face in expanded metal. Underside I used ct1 and tech7 and acros to keep the pressure on when setting. Also screwd the sides to the battens that where sitting out abit. The felt that was hanging down, I covered the wbp play then nailed the expanded metal on.

All looks ok however I've now got the 12mm ply sitting proud. I'll have float another scratch coat to build out plus on my reveal, it'll be 12mm out more. I suppose it's just how it is. I was thinking of keeping it flush However I wouldn't have have the battens to screw into that was sitting out for screwing the underside.

Pics to follow soon for future reference for others.