Hydrated or Hydraulic that is the question!!!

barmyuk

Doing a 20m2 S+C render on old masonary brickwork, client as now informed us he wants lime in this, what do you guys prefer using! cheers

I know it's a stupid question but when your not doing it day in and day out there is things that you forget, well i do anyway! We normally focus all our work on internal work with the odd external but since they've requested lime in its just through me a bit!

zombie its not the case i cant do the job - its the advice im after, client says they want lime in okay theyve stipulated hydraulic or hydrated so i was getting a feedback to see what the rest of the guys prefer using for workability etc! As i know there is different methods with lime in rendering - thanks for your feedback though! you must be one of the best that knows everything!! dont see the point in s**t comments like that, thought thats what this forum was about getting advice?

These types if lime are worlds apart.

Do you plan to use cement in the mix???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It
I know it's a stupid question but when your not doing it day in and day out there is things that you forget, well i do anyway! We normally focus all our work on internal work with the odd external but since they've requested lime in its just through me a bit!
It's is a big thing to forget!!
You need to know if they want a breathable render system or just sand & cement with lime (hydrated) in it

Its sand a cement like i said - im going with hydrated, i also know they are worlds apart as there is rendering where there is just lime and sand no cement- all based on carbantion etc for curing - like i said was just looking to see what others do but never mind i shouldnt be doing the job! ;)

@barmyuk ...OK sorry for any offence!

I'm just a firm believer in that the person doing the job should be able to advise the customer and not the other way round!

Perhaps I misunderstood.. I dunno...

If there's cement involved then only normal hydrated lime commonly stocked in a merchants will be right as a simple plasticiser. OPC is hydraulic anyway. So in effect your using hydraulic and hydrated.

What is the clients reason,thoughts for wanting lime in your gear? In whatever form?..
Is it a daft builder?

Last edited:
cheers lads, @zombie yes i can advise the client but as an employee ive advised my boss but i was just getting general feed back from the other spreads! thats all sorry if i came across a k*!b

Yes clemo, without lime hangs forever. You can’t touch it the same day. With lime you have the chance to rub it in the afternoon.

Yep was just wondering if I was mad lol. I use less lime in the summer I find in summer to mush and u get hairline cracks as it's setting to fast.

Yep was just wondering if I was mad lol. I use less lime in the summer I find in summer to mush and u get hairline cracks as it's setting to fast.

It's the speed that does it. I know many spreads don't use lime for that reason, but it's all in the ratio. Normal mix of 1:1 lime : cement should have 6sand and not 3-4-5 . ;)

I only have to look at sand & cement and it F*****g cracks!!!

Biggest pile of poo in building game!

Should be in plasteri g room 101 with all vincey gadgets!

Can always do 5 sand 1 cement 1/2 lime
Rule of thumb- multiply the amount of cement and lime by 3 and you will get the amount of aggregate. For lime plastering there are different techniques to measure the amount of lime to sand for best results.
Winter i do 1:1:4 and 1:1:5 as the setting is not that fast, so yes 5:1:1/2 it's ok

I was dashing a gable on Monday. 5:1:1/2 and it went off lovely. Working with my old boss and he liked to use lime and Feb. Bit of a no no for me but the stuff was mint to spread.

Doing a 20m2 S+C render on old masonary brickwork, client as now informed us he wants lime in this, what do you guys prefer using! cheers
If the wall got sand cement hydrated
Don't use hydraulic on sand cement pointless f**k me lol