I said it before, jesus (newbie plastering)

Members online

ChrisA

Hey all,

Cheers again for the warm welcome

So this is just to make you pros smile and a reminder that what you do is bloody difficult.

Started with a knackered wall in my new gaff (about 12-14 sq. m.), took 2 layers of wall paper off hiding a mess of a wall. tapped it and it was loose in a 4 sq m area, so hacked off (came off easy). behind was a wall that had not been repaired properly and someone had just used polysterene blocks as bricks! Removed them and put some real bricks in there with lime cement, all nice and solid and done.

plastered that area to bring it a few mm flush of rest of plaster, that went alright ish.

well i finally did the whole wall today - to me at least lol. about 12-14 sq m. Doing the 2nd coat I got to that swearing bit then 'i just cannot do this' bit. Then I got the 'i'm not clever enough for this' bit.

But I ploughed thru leaving a few bad marks (dunno what youd call them, cat faces or something). wrong or right i used a brush with water, cleaning trowel regular and eventually did what I thought was an alright job. over and over again I kept finding areas I'd done badly and had to fix them.

wife came home and said I did a good job, didn't see that coming, but then she aint a plasterer or even in construction! I'm going to see it tomorrow, just hope it doesnt look too bad. I would take a pic if it werent for the shame lol!

Even though I said all this, I really wanna do more. I have a mate whos hard up and saw the wall I did and said I could do his as a practice and he will pay for materials. I said I would do it but he cannot watch (or hear) me lol!

I few bits of me hurt, but thats probably from my shattered hip, pelvis and leg (8 years back), but may be I just need to do more and it will strengthen me up a bit. also got a bad back as well which don't help, think I picked up my disabled dad off the floor wrong the other day and tweaked it badly. He was a decent plasterer but as he was mainly a brick layer, was never pleased with his plastering and quickly wanted it painted or wallpapered!

Anyway, hope that made you all laugh....didn't make me bloody laugh!

all the best

chris

ps and I got really p'ssed off with myself when I stuck the bloody hawk in the wall, the other me shouted very loudly at the me that did it. I'd have punched him if I didn't suffer for it lol

Hey all,

So this is just to make you pros smile and a reminder that what you do is bloody difficult.

Started with a knackered wall in my new gaff (about 12-14 sq. m.), took 2 layers of wall paper off hiding a mess of a wall. tapped it and it was loose in a 4 sq m area, so hacked off (came off easy). behind was a wall that had not been repaired properly and someone had just used polysterene blocks as bricks! Removed them and put some real bricks in there with lime cement, all nice and solid and done.

plastered that area to bring it a few mm flush of rest of plaster, that went alright ish.

well i finally did the whole wall today - to me at least lol. about 12-14 sq m. Doing the 2nd coat I got to that swearing bit then 'i just cannot do this' bit. Then I got the 'i'm not clever enough for this' bit.

But I ploughed thru leaving a few bad marks (dunno what youd call them, cat faces or something). wrong or right i used a brush with water, cleaning trowel regular and eventually did what I thought was an alright job. over and over again I kept finding areas I'd done badly and had to fix them.

wife came home and said I did a good job, didn't see that coming, but then she aint a plasterer or even in construction! I'm going to see it tomorrow, just hope it doesnt look too bad. I would take a pic if it werent for the shame lol!

Even though I said all this, I really wanna do more. I have a mate whos hard up and saw the wall I did and said I could do his as a practice and he will pay for materials. I said I would do it but he cannot watch (or hear) me lol!

I few bits of me hurt, but thats probably from my shattered hip, pelvis and leg (8 years back), but may be I just need to do more and it will strengthen me up a bit. also got a bad back as well which don't help, think I picked up my disabled dad off the floor wrong the other day and tweaked it badly. He was a decent plasterer but as he was mainly a brick layer, was never pleased with his plastering and quickly wanted it painted or wallpapered!

all the best

chris

ps and I got really p'ssed off with myself when I stuck the bloody hawk in the wall, the other me shouted very loudly at the me that did it. I'd have punched him if I didn't suffer for it lol

right... more to the point what bike do you ride?

Hey all,

all the best

chris

Are you related to @Gavine The First ?

Hey all,

all the best

chris

Just be thankful you didn't try to stick your beads up with tape.

8D5D7C7C-A2CF-4719-B945-AAA7404C847C.gif

right... more to the point what bike do you ride?
lol Well I did have a Honda Blackbird for around 5 years until last year, but it was getting old and bookkeeper said I could get a newer bike and claim it as a tax deduct but it had to be only 2-3 years old, so I got a BMW K1300S...I have become my Uncle lol

Evenin’!

Sounds like you’re having a whale of a time! Did you float or board the wall out of interest?
Evening!

Oh yeah, whale of a time if the whale is catching me and not other way round! I did not float or board and probably should have :(

That’s a bloody long post will read in detail at a later time but welcome along (y)
Ah don't worry too much, it would have bored me to be honest, just wanted to share what its like to not know what your doing, so you can appreciate what you do more!

Are you related to @Gavine The First ?
Not that I know of mate, in fact the only gavine I know was from gavin and stacy :)

Welcome to the forum
Cheers (y)

Welcome

Not reading all that lol
Hi mate lol nor would I!

Welcome

Another 5years of practice and you'll be there
Hi martin.

Oh...that's bad news for many future walls :(

Just be thankful you didn't try to stick your beads up with tape.
I would not put it passed me! :) I will have to do that soon though, I am sure that will be fun!

lol hello :ROFLMAO:

I gave up half way down... what’s he on about? :loco:
I almost gave up writing half way down, so we are even :)

Hey all,

all the best

chris

Great post Chris! Think you may have the gift ! What do you work as at the moment ? You and your pal should have a laugh anyway, if nothing else ! Cheers

Great post Chris! Think you may have the gift ! What do you work as at the moment ? You and your pal should have a laugh anyway, if nothing else ! Cheers
Glad ya like it Gavine, I did go on a bit! Don't think I've got the gift but am willing to try harder...like I was told in school and didnt lol! I draw extensions and that at the moment, not well paid really or rewarding, plastering bloody is though! I got a builder mate coming round soon, I'm sure he'll have a laugh or to! Cheerss

Glad ya like it Gavine, I did go on a bit! Don't think I've got the gift but am willing to try harder...like I was told in school and didnt lol! I draw extensions and that at the moment, not well paid really or rewarding, plastering bloody is though! I got a builder mate coming round soon, I'm sure he'll have a laugh or to! Cheerss
Put up a couple of pics .

lol Well I did have a Honda Blackbird for around 5 years until last year, but it was getting old and bookkeeper said I could get a newer bike and claim it as a tax deduct but it had to be only 2-3 years old, so I got a BMW K1300S...I have become my Uncle lol

Evening!

Oh yeah, whale of a time if the whale is catching me and not other way round! I did not float or board and probably should have :(

Ah don't worry too much, it would have bored me to be honest, just wanted to share what its like to not know what your doing, so you can appreciate what you do more!

Not that I know of mate, in fact the only gavine I know was from gavin and stacy :)

Cheers (y)

Hi mate lol nor would I!

Hi martin.

Oh...that's bad news for many future walls :(

I would not put it passed me! :) I will have to do that soon though, I am sure that will be fun!

lol hello :ROFLMAO:

I almost gave up writing half way down, so we are even :)
If you didn’t float or board the brick.... what did you do?

If you didn’t float or board the brick.... what did you do?
Ah right, yeah I should have said about this but it was a wall with 1/2 inch plaster on it already, so i just just replaced the whole with new plaster of same thickness. Then what I said I did at the beginning of this was referring to 2 skim coats. I did think about boarding but the wall is on the piss and thought it might be more difficult. Be more than glad to have your comments though mate (y)

Here are pictures. and also pics of the hole in the plaster I covered up hopefully! and the bricks i used to re-fill hole with polystreene blocks
@Gavine The First

Attachments

• 2019-10-10 14.11.20.jpg
    2019-10-10 14.11.20.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 186
  • 2019-10-10 14.11.36.jpg
    2019-10-10 14.11.36.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 180
  • 20190505_153604.jpg
    20190505_153604.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 200
  • 2019-01-14 19.22.14.jpg
    2019-01-14 19.22.14.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 186
  • 20190521_110558.jpg
    20190521_110558.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 183
Ah right, yeah I should have said about this but it was a wall with 1/2 inch plaster on it already, so i just just replaced the whole with new plaster of same thickness. Then what I said I did at the beginning of this was referring to 2 skim coats. I did think about boarding but the wall is on the piss and thought it might be more difficult. Be more than glad to have your comments though mate (y)
Ah ok, I thought for a sec you’d skimmed brick! Lol

Hey all,

all the best

chris

its a HANDBOARD

Shall we have a vote,
Of course , once it becomes obvious its called a hawk Norm can call for a re vote if he thinks we were miss informed
we live in a democratic country and cant have a re vote/ once a handboard always a handboard /speak later just going to feed my pet hawks before dark:buitre: