insert multifuel stove can I use plasterboard?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

flo35

I have a multifule stove in an insert. All the original plaster has cracked in the insert and I have removed it to the concrete skim on the brick. Can I use plasterboard to cover the walls and then tile on this? - cant plaster!
Flo

Realy wouldnt use plasterboard on a working stove.sand cement and lime really.heat can transfer through tiles.like underfloor heating for an example

I also have wood burning stove and when I installed it over 3 years ago I had a copy of building regs and I remember it saying that inside the chimney it has to be a non combustible material. Mine was brick which was fine. But if I wanted to plaster it I would have to board it out with fire board/cement board. They are easily available at most DIY stores. (Use the normal dot and dab routine)You can then skim over that and paint if you wish but you won't need to as you want tiles.

I originally had fire board down the insides of my insert and they were fine while the wood stove was burning. I took them after about 1 year though as I thought the bare brick looked better for me.

Hope this helps.

ye hello and welcome :rolleyes)

personally id just leave it brick and point it

Plasterboard is ok especialy as its being tiled, as long as the gap between the burner and the cheeks are to spec which i think is 150mm, check though, the burner wont generate enough heat to cause a fire if your not confidant with plasterboard use cement board.

you also consider brick slips ie; a thinner brick face approx 35mm stuck on with tile adhesive and pointed ,thats whats on mine its not cracked with my log burner, been on 2 years, look for brick slips on internet

doing one at the moment using glass rock ( from tp)

they are having a wood burner fitted so this was spec from installer

Status
Not open for further replies.