Is ok to replaster over old but solid plaster?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

macgrl

Hello all,

I am re-doing my bathroom and have taken off all the tiles, pretty much 2/3 rds of the room was tiled and will be retiled in the same place. When taking off the tiles some of the plaster underneath came off too so there are patches of bare brick, thin plaster layers and other patches of what seems to be plaster in good condition and not loose. I am planning on re tiling and so the replaster job doesn't need to be perfect but I want to it to be sound.

My questions are

i) Do I need to remove the good plaster patches so that I am down to the bare brick all over?

ii) Do I need to coat the brick work and good plaster patches (if they can stay) with a pva mix.

Many thanks

macgrl:RpS_biggrin:

Here are some pics - photo2.JPG photo.JPG

m8 looking at the pics the walls need plastered and strait.end if ur going 2 re tile u want strait walls.as for the plaster that u said was sound if it can be re plastered and made flush with existing.then yes it cud stay.

stick some boards on it and tile straight onto the boards just like spunky said :RpS_sneaky:

use a handboard and not a hawk !!

yep you could re-board then tile but next time the bathroom is redone it will rip the wall apart when you remove the tiles.patch the walls in so they are plumb and flat then re-skim the lot.pva between each coat of plaster with 2 coats of pva n water 50/50 mix and also before tiling.proper job.:RpS_biggrin:

As said above, dot and dab some boards onto that. Take it back to brick first though and pva with a weak mix 5:1.

Maybe a thin coat of skim over the boards and flatten, doesn't have to be very good. Just stops the board being destroyed when/if you ever take the tiles off.

When you are tiling it makes the job loads easier if the walls are flat and plumb and boarding it is the easiest way to achieve this. Good luck.

Hi Macgrl,

Personally at this stage if tiling, I would remove all plaster from the walls back to the brick,

Brush the brickwork down to clean it all up,

Then paint on with a roller a key priming product called 'thistle bond it' this needs to dry over a 24hour period, it will seal up the walls, effectively covering the dry, dusty, brick work and when dry will leave a rough aggregate key for your drywall adhesive to bond to and enable you to Avoid adhesive failure. Some lads will just throw pva on the walls, personally I dont like to take the chance, think about how much weight will be on the walls once it is tiled....

Next dot & dab your walls using a 12.5mm plasterboard

Providing you dab your boards on level and square your tiles should fly on!!

Then paint on with a roller a key priming product called 'thistle bond it' this needs to dry over a 24hour period, it will seal up the walls, effectively covering the dry, dusty, brick work and when dry will leave a rough aggregate key for your drywall adhesive to bond to and enable you to Avoid adhesive failure. Some lads will just throw pva on the walls, personally I dont like to take the chance, think about how much weight will be on the walls once it is tiled....

Rubbish, PVA will be just fine for sealing. There will be plenty of key for the adhesive on that old brickwork.

On these walls if those bits of plaster left on the bricks are solid, i would just brush of the dust, then dampen walls with water, then float out level with browning/hardwall then skim.
You could use a very weak pva if you really wanted too.

tell ya what i do.. Id give the wall a good clean to remove all the old plaster then scrub it to get rid of all the dust. id prob get the hoover and give it a good going over with that to be honest, then id get some none gloss varnish and paint a good few coats on the wall. hey presto youv got a lovely feature wall

Status
Not open for further replies.