is there a certain

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

gooner59

Private Member
Standard thats states how big the holes in alkaline resistant glass fibre mesh cloth is ?
or even what is a good mesh cloth ?
there are so many different sorts out there to buy ,there must be some kind of guide line BS Standards or something ! any idea guys please ?:)

I would of thought each manufacturer defines the standard for what quality of mesh to use on there products by testing, what's good for one product may not be good for another product, this is why it would be best to use each manufacturers specified mesh on their own system.

monkey martin is right

altough most ewi systems components are the same ish, they are all a tiny bit different in some ways and the mesh a specific manufacturer has provided will have been tested as part of that whole system and especially in conjunction with their own adhesive base. If standards is what you are wanting to achieve then use the mesh specified by the manufacturer on that system and your not going be left open for a problem.

most ewi thin coat mesh is small like 4mm - 6mm holes. this is usually a bit to tight for monocouche systems where the product relies more on its suction and needs to be binded together with itself - thin coat mesh can act as a separation layer on a mono system where as with adhesive base it sticks chemically to it more and uses the tighter mesh for better imapct strength due to only being thin render - monocouche mesh can be something like 10mm squares.

again not all systems mesh are like this

Thanks guys for the answers very interesting , i thought there would be some Bs standard/European to cover meshes but it appears there isn't , a friend of mine has done a job where he is accused laying the mesh against the insulation board and rendering over the top,( i don't believe he has done this as he is not stupid ) but i was just thinking the mesh should not inter- fear with the bond between the board and render if the mesh holes are big enough thats all ?

reinforcing mesh should always be part of the system providers specification, however if you are looking at just a render application then a good quality 5mm grid mesh should suffice. With EWI systems generally a 4mm mesh is used due to the reduced aggregate size. The mesh should always be in the top third of the render to perform at it optimum

There is a knack of laying mesh so it is near the surface on completion (thin coat). At first due to panic it tends to get pushed through the render so it sits on the base and this might be the case with your friend.

I agree about mono and the solid renders, 4mm seems to small in my mind and it could be like a separate layer of plastic between coats. To fine in opinion. 5mm+ would be better. SAS makes a nice 5mm mesh that is quite taught but it is mega bucks at £78 + vat. It is the mesh that makes them expensive.

All mesh have a grade and are used for different applications and strenght purposes.Beware of cheap products from china as they will cause you problems down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.