Is this asbestos?

Members online

Ana

Hello folks,

Working through a basement demo and came across what seems to be insulation board tucked under the heating duct.

Before going any further, want to check if this looks like it contains asbestos?

Appreciate any input!

Attachments

• CAC17BE8-FE10-4F78-985E-EEADE8EFD4B7.jpeg
    CAC17BE8-FE10-4F78-985E-EEADE8EFD4B7.jpeg
    535.8 KB · Views: 302
  • FD63D752-B142-4239-B754-CEAA009D456E.jpeg
    FD63D752-B142-4239-B754-CEAA009D456E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 319
Contain? That looks like 100% pure can’t feel your face grade A Columbian asbestos.
I’ll trust that’s higher quality than Peruvian or Bolivian. That said, is the insulation board exposed as shown in the photo (with the ceiling tiles removed) considered ‘disturbed’ asbestos? Is it ok to have it sit like this in the unused basement until I plan out next steps?

Asbestos insulating board, also known as "AIB" or by the trade name "Asbestolux", was an asbestos containing board used in the building trade because of its excellent fire resistance and heat insulating properties. These boards were commonly used in the UK from the 1930s up until production was terminated in 1980. AIB tended to contain 25-40% asbestos, with amosite being the most common form of asbestos used, although a mixture of amosite and chrysotile was also common, and crocidolite was sometimes used in older boards and some marine boards.

AIB is softer, more porous and less dense than asbestos cement. This and the fact it contains between two and three times more asbestos than cement makes it far more friable and thus a greater health risk if the boards are disturbed or in poor condition. The National Cancer Institute has said "Asbestos has been used as insulation against heat and fire in buildings. Loose asbestos fibers breathed into the lungs can cause several serious diseases, including lung cancer and malignant mesothelioma (cancer found in the lining of the lungs, chest, or abdomen)

it does look like asbestos to me. i have not seen asbestos board as thick as that before. asbestos was used as a heat insulated on heating ducts and pipe work. the cost will be high to remove it.

it does look like asbestos to me. i have not seen asbestos board as thick as that before. asbestos was used as a heat insulated on heating ducts and pipe work. the cost will be high to remove it.
How do you know how thick it is?

Hello folks,

Working through a basement demo and came across what seems to be insulation board tucked under the heating duct.

Before going any further, want to check if this looks like it contains asbestos?

Appreciate any input!
Yes treat it as an asbestos insulating board until proven otherwise. Nasty stuff - looks frayed at the edges.

How do you know how thick it is?

when i look at the fibres of the board it looks a lot thicker then asbestos cement board.
it does appear that the duct was completely covered at one time as there still is a piece on the top of the duct.
at one time they were moulding wet asbestos to enclose pipework. i have seen those chaps moulding it with their hands, then they would sit and eat their meals in the boiler house !

when i look at the fibres of the board it looks a lot thicker then asbestos cement board.
it does appear that the duct was completely covered at one time as there still is a piece on the top of the duct.
at one time they were moulding wet asbestos to enclose pipework. i have seen those chaps moulding it with their hands, then they would sit and eat their meals in the boiler house !
its safer to eat then breath in fibers.

Hello folks,

Appreciate any input!
I’d put my mortgage on it that’s asbestos