Jointing plaster board before plaster

redhat1283

Novice here. Do I have to tape and joint blueboard before plastering? If you're not supposed to and I happen to already have done half of my basement before deciding to plaster, do I have to cover the joint compound with a PVA before applying plaster? There is a mix of drying and setting compound. Wasn't sure what I originally wanted to do so I just hung blueboard instead of drywall and just figured I'd joint and paint if I decided to skip the plaster.

Novice here. Do I have to tape and joint blueboard before plastering? If you're not supposed to and I happen to already have done half of my basement before deciding to plaster, do I have to cover the joint compound with a PVA before applying plaster? There is a mix of drying and setting compound. Wasn't sure what I originally wanted to do so I just hung blueboard instead of drywall and just figured I'd joint and paint if I decided to skip the plaster.
No you just scrim the joints and skim it. As you've already taped and filled some though, as you thought just PVA the jointing compound and skim it

W
Yes. Why's that?

When you mentioned blue board, as we just call them plasterboards over here. I paper tape new boards as much as possible as it has superior crack resistance to scrim, if it’s just a basement and your not fussy just use scrim and plaster.
If you decide to paper tape then no need to prime just fill the tapered joins flush at the taping stage then next day skim over.

What are you skimming them with?
Well that was going to be my next question. The rest of the house is a knock down that I believe is two parts. I think they did a Gray coat and then the top coat. I'm not exactly sure what if I'm going to try that or just smooth. Both seem to have their challenges. If I'm staring at the bags of plaster at Lowe's what am I supposed to be getting?

Well that was going to be my next question. The rest of the house is a knock down that I believe is two parts. I think they did a Gray coat and then the top coat. I'm not exactly sure what if I'm going to try that or just smooth. Both seem to have their challenges. If I'm staring at the bags of plaster at Lowe's what am I supposed to be getting?
Diamond veneer and if u never did it before don’t.

As @Nicm said, USG Diamond Veneer Finish is what you’re looking for - that’s a picture of it. Where in the US are you?

Attachments

• 14F6056B-5F18-4503-A8FE-C6DF429D6F4B.png
    14F6056B-5F18-4503-A8FE-C6DF429D6F4B.png
    9.2 MB · Views: 163
As @Nicm said, USG Diamond Veneer Finish is what you’re looking for - that’s a picture of it. Where in the US are you?
So I'm just outside of Pittsburgh. My local Lowe's only has the Gold Bond products. I bought the Kal-Kote Basecoat and the Kal-Kote Smooth Finish. The base went on fairly well except for my learning curve on pot life. Ruined a bucket. Did OK with the top coat but obviously still a steep learning curve. I kept getting a lot of bubbles and I'm not quite sure on the timing of everything. I opted to start just throwing it on the wall and coming back and trying to smooth out after it set up for a few minutes. One problem I think I have is way too much suction. I'm going to try lightly spraying the base coat before trying to put the top coat on. I guess I have two questions. Should I be using different products and what kind of process as far as timing should I be trying to achieve? I knew this was going to be a large undertaking but I'm willing to put some time in to at least try and figure this out. I can tape and mud all day with minimal sanding.

Are these powder mixes that your adding water to or ready mixed in a tub?
I would have thought mud and tape then sand would have been the best option for an ametuer.

Are these powder mixes that your adding water to or ready mixed in a tub?
I would have thought mud and tape then sand would have been the best option for an ametuer.
Powder mixed plaster. That's more than likely the case and I'm more than comfortable with mud (both premixed and dry) and tape. Plaster is just something I always wanted to try my hand at. Just trying to give myself the best chance of actually succeeding. Like I said the first pass wasn't all that bad and I'm just trying to get some more information on the problems I saw.