Just your DIY numpty here.. old plasterboards..and smooth concrete

Andyprussell

Evening boys, I've been lurking for a while picking up tips.. glad to say it's payed off, just about, walls skimmed and the missus highly impressed! In fact, it earnt me a quickie and her a mouthfull of Andy's special PVA :fuckyou: but ..after watching a few videos, and reading a few tutorials, it seems like after you lads put the first coat on, you've still got a good 20 minutes of play time for washing down and flattening off before the second coat. So....why after 5 minutes Is my multifinish turning to cheese on the wall??? Halfway through a wall and where I had started it had already started setting :raro2:
The ins n outs..

The bags of multi are new
I'm quite quick and handy with a trowel through tiling so it's not speed
Clean water used
Not overmixed with the paddle mixer nor is it too thick
5:1 pva, let that dry out, then 3:1 and waited for that to go tacky
Laying the first coat on about 3mm
No heating etc..

.. the only thing I can think of is some crazy kind of suction?! Theyre plasterboards, old,had three layers off wallpaper on probably from the 70's, and the plasterboards are yellow??? Would these old plasterboards be causing it??

And I'll be skimming a super smooth council wall tomorrow, concrete. :cachetada:As soon as I splash water on the wall it disappears, would pva suffice or shall I get some of that wickes bonding agent?

Thanks in advance, ps love the banter on here :bailando:

Welcome grasshopper........plasterer must first learn to master suction control...
This is imperative, and when mastered will give you the time to flatten, brush corners, clean beads, and most importantly.........drink tea.
PVA the wall 24 hrs before you intend to work on it....a diluted mix...."feed" that thirsty wall......then do it again.......let it dry ....do it again with a "richer" mix...
Then do it again....
Only when the suction has been defeated May you proceed to the plastering stage........
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Welcome grasshopper........plasterer must first learn to master suction control...
This is imperative, and when mastered will give you the time to flatten, brush corners, clean beads, and most importantly.........drink tea.
PVA the wall 24 hrs before you intend to work on it....a diluted mix...."feed" that thirsty wall......then do it again.......let it dry ....do it again with a "richer" mix...
Then do it again....
Only when the suction has been defeated May you proceed to the plastering stage........
Hope this helps. Good luck.
Thanks buddy.. how do I know when suction has been defeated? As from what people have said, when it's tacky it's good to go? But I've been letting it soak in, then to get tacky with the second coat but the skims drying far too quick :cry:

IMG_4504.PNG IMG_4614.JPG IMG_4585.JPG IMG_4506.JPG IMG_4442.JPG

Walls in question..

andys special pva in yer wifes mouth was enough for me to think you are a f**k**g weirdo......
pull your pants up and f**k off.

That's where you've gone wrong. Have a butchers at Plaster Force RWF0067. Watch and learn:

Right that's it. Dunlop trousers, dewalt safety boots and a Rolex watch looks like what I need. I'll purchase tomorrow, I'll be a plastering god by tomorrow night

looks like yours is a prefab house work on lots near me. give all walls a pregrit. or plenty of coats of pva let each coat dry and keep reapplying until it's not pulling in quickly. might be worth throwing some bonding in your 1st coat of skim. I prefer to dot and dab over the concrete walls as the suction is a b####rd to control even with grit and ends up crazing

looks like yours is a prefab house work on lots near me. give all walls a pregrit. or plenty of coats of pva let each coat dry and keep reapplying until it's not pulling in quickly. might be worth throwing some bonding in your 1st coat of skim. I prefer to dot and dab over the concrete walls as the suction is a b####rd to control even with grit and ends up crazing
Thanks for the reply Clarkie. Are the concrete walls really that bad? I'm glad you've said that as I was gonna try and put one up tomorrow, may just trowel a thin layer of dab on and slap on a board. Although I've brought wickes bonding agent now, tempted to give it a go first

the old boards were never skimmed only tape and jointed. when wall paper stripped off your left with a mixture of paint. paste. wallpaper. plaster board. If your going with the grit a spray bottle or plenty of water from your brush when your troweling up will help. careful with a thin layer of dab as well cos the suction is the much the fans may fail by drying to quick so a pva beforehand on that wouldn't hurt either.

the old boards were never skimmed only tape and jointed. when wall paper stripped off your left with a mixture of paint. paste. wallpaper. plaster board. If your going with the grit a spray bottle or plenty of water from your brush when your troweling up will help. careful with a thin layer of dab as well cos the suction is the much the fans may fail by drying to quick so a pva beforehand on that wouldn't hurt either.
Top man, thanks fella!

Evening boys, I've been lurking for a while picking up tips.. glad to say it's payed off, just about, walls skimmed and the missus highly impressed! In fact, it earnt me a quickie and her a mouthfull of Andy's special PVA :fuckyou: but ..after watching a few videos, and reading a few tutorials, it seems like after you lads put the first coat on, you've still got a good 20 minutes of play time for washing down and flattening off before the second coat. So....why after 5 minutes Is my multifinish turning to cheese on the wall??? Halfway through a wall and where I had started it had already started setting :raro2:
The ins n outs..

The bags of multi are new
I'm quite quick and handy with a trowel through tiling so it's not speed
Clean water used
Not overmixed with the paddle mixer nor is it too thick
5:1 pva, let that dry out, then 3:1 and waited for that to go tacky
Laying the first coat on about 3mm
No heating etc..

.. the only thing I can think of is some crazy kind of suction?! Theyre plasterboards, old,had three layers off wallpaper on probably from the 70's, and the plasterboards are yellow??? Would these old plasterboards be causing it??

And I'll be skimming a super smooth council wall tomorrow, concrete. :cachetada:As soon as I splash water on the wall it disappears, would pva suffice or shall I get some of that wickes bonding agent?

Thanks in advance, ps love the banter on here :bailando:
Go and pay a good man that knows what he's doing.