K-Rend on a new build

NEDZ

Hi all

Looking a bit of advice on this as we're about to buy a new build house and I'm a wee bit concerned about the rendering. The House looks great overall but you can see an outline of the underlying block work at the front of the house around the upstairs windows, its really noticeable after its been raining. Theres no evidence of damp inside on the walls or from an inspection of the roofspace

Had a surveyor come and take a look but honestly he didn't say much about it while he was at the site. I asked him if it was likely a bit thin there, or whether it may just be moisture in the mortar joints that will dry out in time, and thats pretty much what he wrote in the report, seemed to be hedging his bets.

Feel a bit stuck now, the render doesnt exhibit this pattern anywhere else on the house so I find it hard to think its a poor job, just wondering what you all think? How long does the render take to 'cure'? reckon it must be on around 4-6 months.

The picture may not show it up well - looked more obvious in real life :)

Thanks for taking a look

WP_20181217_14_57_07_Pro.jpg

Argh.

So is that going to be cosmetic, or will it be more likely to fail/ make the house colder?

Appreciate its a bit of a guessing game but what could be done about it now?

We had our old house done in krend eight years ago and I do remember seeing all sorts of dark lines on it the first winter afterwards, and none since, was kind of hoping it would be the same here. The only thing I'll say about this new house is that the pictured wall doesn't catch much direct sunlight, if that's relevant here at all.

Thx for the reply!

Thx for the suggestions all, we've not exchanged contracts on this yet, probably will do so in the middle of Jan. If it's just cosmetic I might try and get the seller to reduce the asking price by the cost of a paint job which we would do if the issue remains after the summer.

If it's going to cause more problems than that and eventually come off the wall or make the interior walls cold, then we'd probably walk away from the deal. Really don't want to though as we're in a chain and would be letting down another couple.

It’s called ghosting,
It’s where the mortar between the block draws moisture through and holds it, the mortar mix will be more porus that your 7n block, that the house is built from.
Usually happens if it’s too thin or just on a panel that gets weather.
The render won’t fail, The way to get round it is just coat it with a transparent sealer such as paraguard.

Thanks again all, going to have to think on this house purchase over Christmas then and see what the seller has to say about it

It’s called ghosting,
It’s where the mortar between the block draws moisture through and holds it, the mortar mix will be more porus that your 7n block, that the house is built from.
The render won’t fail, The way to get round it is just coat it with a transparent sealer such as paraguard.
We find it happens when the Bricky puts to much plasticiser in his mix. Joints do be like dust. We do a bace coat when the joints are like that.

It’s called ghosting,

Just as last question on this transparent sealer, I take it that it's like the name suggests - when it's on you wont notice any difference to the finish, except that it'll hopefully prevent or lessen the ghosting?

Really appreciate the help on this, whilst I can say I'll be a regular on here after this it's been great to get your advice, so thanks again

Seems odd its only under the windows.
Could it not be that the cills are not level and rain water is running back to the wall instead of toward the drip?

Don’t think it make any odds,
It could be running off the cills on to the wall, either way the renders holding rainwater. could be a radiator under the window, even with the cavity it will still draw it in with the heat.

Just as last question on this transparent sealer, I take it that it's like the name suggests - when it's on you wont notice any difference to the finish, except that it'll hopefully prevent or lessen the ghosting?

Really appreciate the help on this, whilst I can say I'll be a regular on here after this it's been great to get your advice, so thanks again
You won’t notice it’s on,until rain hits it and you get like a lotus leaf effect, with the rainwater, I think k rend make a version, I’d get in touch with k rend, if it’s k rend on your wall.

All of the above and below and beyond.......
Plus if the pointing is s**t , actually missing, and hanging it’s what causes the ghosting. You need to scrape off the mortar before render.Found the state of the mortar doesn’t play such a big role, but if you skip the above, your mortar can be literally mm from the surface.

You won’t notice it’s on,until rain hits it and you get like a lotus leaf effect, with the rainwater, I think k rend make a version, I’d get in touch with k rend, if it’s k rend on your wall.
Would this make the surface difficult to paint in future if you ever became bored of the colour?

Would this make the surface difficult to paint in future if you ever became bored of the colour?
I’d imagine so, but ask the manufacturers for the composition of it, Ive never done it. It kind of misses the point if a through coloured render, but I guess people change there mind and colour choice is subjective.

new builds?
pffffft they all look 'good' on the surface but do a bit of digging and that render will be the least of your worries pal

Thanks again all, going to have to think on this house purchase over Christmas then and see what the seller has to say about it
have a think over christmas to me it sounds like your looking for a reason too change you mind ,the render might be on a little thin nothing that sealer or paint wont sort out it could even dry out ,as for make the house colder or fail :endesacuerdo: your making a mountain out of a mole hill here

have a think over christmas to me it sounds like your looking for a reason too change you mind ,the render might be on a little thin nothing that sealer or paint wont sort out it could even dry out ,as for make the house colder or fail :endesacuerdo: your making a mountain out of a mole hill here
I do worry too much about most things, but the comments on here have mostly put my mind to rest... Doesn't really matter anyway as my other half has her heart set on the place!

I do worry too much about most things, but the comments on here have mostly put my mind to rest... Doesn't really matter anyway as my other half has her heart set on the place!
thats that then the boss has spoken .we like to think we're in charge ,but in fairness you have nothing to worry about, the house is fine ,best of luck with the move

Estate agents say women buy houses and not men, there is some truth in that I guess.