Keeping the character

Members online

Nicholas8323

Hi,
A lot of useful information on this site I’m finding it very useful. I’d like to ask a question if I may. We are doing a barn conversion at the moment using traditional materials where we can. Lime render plaster on stone walls etc. Inevitably when converting the building like this there will be some new stud walls built . Now I fully understand that you can use traditional lath and lime plaster to create these walls but this isn’t a route that I have decided to go down. the walls are stud work with plasterboard and I’m trying to keep the character by getting the finish right on these walls. I’m using the trim tex rounded bullnose corner beads which are giving a nice rounded soft edge but my question is, when plastering these boards how or what is the best way to keep some character making it a good finish but a more grainy and imperfect one rather than the super modern ice rink flat.

Any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Nicholas

Skim the board, smooth and leave it. So it's still flat but matt and will have imperfections. I did this at my mates 500 year old cottage, looked nice when painted and not too cottagey but not too new either

Did one about 15 year ago where customer wanted limelight sponged up on the Stone and block and bonding on the studs wasn’t for me at first but warmed to it once it was complete. Since bonding reduced the size of vermiculite it could be similar to what your after. Try different ways of finishing it on sample boards. Sponge it the Just as it’s going green a light spray and flexy trowel so it with be flat and smoothish but pitted at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,
A lot of useful information on this site I’m finding it very useful. I’d like to ask a question if I may. We are doing a barn conversion at the moment using traditional materials where we can. Lime render plaster on stone walls etc. Inevitably when converting the building like this there will be some new stud walls built . Now I fully understand that you can use traditional lath and lime plaster to create these walls but this isn’t a route that I have decided to go down. the walls are stud work with plasterboard and I’m trying to keep the character by getting the finish right on these walls. I’m using the trim tex rounded bullnose corner beads which are giving a nice rounded soft edge but my question is, when plastering these boards how or what is the best way to keep some character making it a good finish but a more grainy and imperfect one rather than the super modern ice rink flat.

Any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Nicholas
Use one coat and sponge up

Throw some bonding in with the mix the rub with a fine sponge on last stage of troweling to bring the grains up.

Thanks for this. Just googled this as I didn’t understand. so the r100 r50 is a bridging cost so I could use a line render coatthen whitewash?
Both r50 and r100 are finishing coats, very nice finegrain and uniform finish, which you can’t get with limewash.
Still patchy.maybe if you zoom in you can see the grains. I can’t see anything on my phone:rolleyes:
EC42AFD0-B7E4-4C98-AC66-249C9324A1A2.jpeg

Does anyone know if its actually possible to match the rendering on the picture? I moved in after (I'm guessing) a vent had been removed and would ideally like to repair the patch rather than persuade all of my neighbours to change the rendering along a block of 10 terraced flats.

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 457
Does anyone know if its actually possible to match the rendering on the picture? I moved in after (I'm guessing) a vent had been removed and would ideally like to repair the patch rather than persuade all of my neighbours to change the rendering along a block of 10 terraced flats.
Re render the whole bit

There are 6 areas with this patch of rendering so that would require everyone in the block to agree to all of them being rendered, no other options?