Keeping walls clean while doing a re skim on a ceiling

Members online

Spreadinator

hi all.

I'm new to the forum but I've already picked up a wealth of knowledge and tips that have improved my work and got me home ealier. So thanks for that.

I wouldn't say I'm a messy spread but every now and again the odd Splodge ends up on a wall... I usually just clean it off as I go.

I have a job coming up it's a re skim of a ceiling and the customer has just had the room decorated and this includes wall papered..there is coving so I'm thinking of polythene sheeting the walls up and masking taping the sheeting to the coving?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

hi all.

I'm new to the forum but I've already picked up a wealth of knowledge and tips that have improved my work and got me home ealier. So thanks for that.

I wouldn't say I'm a messy spread but every now and again the odd Splodge ends up on a wall... I usually just clean it off as I go.

I have a job coming up it's a re skim of a ceiling and the customer has just had the room decorated and this includes wall papered..there is coving so I'm thinking of polythene sheeting the walls up and masking taping the sheeting to the coving?

Thanks
Try mixing your stuff a bit thicker as it won’t or shouldn’t go everywhere.?

hi all.

Thanks

Yeah...tell them wrong F*****g order and move onto next job with no hassle...

There problem...BUT you will pay the price I guarantee it!

Like when they just fitted a cream carpet ....not worth it

Just take extra precaution sheeting up but make it worthwhile for yourself .. cant run from all the pain in the ass jobs i always like a challenge

5D78BAB5-E3E2-47BB-B497-C2F1559854D5.jpeg
37A90A69-3EC0-4F3B-9E65-7A826630D545.jpeg

Thanks guys, that's some top notch sheeting,

Yea they had it decorated and then had a water leak,

It will be one of those jobs where I spend longer sheeting than skimming.

Does the masking tape not tear the face of the coving when removed? I think from memory it just cheap standered coving.

The masking tape with 'wet paint written on it doesn't seem to take off any surface
I can’t have stuff like that with instructions on it about the place........not after all the fuss in Sainsbury’s after she spotted one of those signs that said “wet floor”.....the Mrs take things like that literally.........:p

hi all.

Thanks

For what it's worth...from me, I would say that yep no problem, but going to be tricky and more expensive due to the extra care and attention its going to need. If there is coving, then that's the saving grace as you can say that I can mask half way up the coving with some decent sticky tape, but you may need to get a DEC in to make good the paint work to the coving as you can't guarantee that some won't get pulled off or grubby. Skim ceiling, clean up, job done. Dec or yourself, can then mask and sheet up to paint ceiling and coving. Drive off into the sunset :D

Go the whole hog sheeting up ect and price for it! Easy jobs like this are no different to any other it's your time and effort that makes life easier, or take a labourer leave him to sheet up go for a breakfast available a little nap come back and bobs ya uncle Fanny's your aunt.

lol..for f**k sake I’ve heard it all now;)
You lot must be off your but wanting to go and skim a ceiling after the walls have been wallpapered or painted;)
way to busy to be wanting to piss about with jobs like that ;(
Fair play to all the die hards out there ;)

You lot must be off your but wanting to go and skim a ceiling after the walls have been wallpapered or painted;)
That kind of work can lead to anything fantastic review loads of reccomendations doesnt matter how buisy you are!! as many no a patch can lead to a full house...
More silly to have a cocky attiyude about how buisy you are

Why? £150 or something for a ceiling normally, or £350 for all the extra time and patience.

I know what I'd do....

If you are going to get an extra 200 quid to sheet up a job to plaster the ceiling then the customer obviously has plently of money to chuck away..and who the f**k decorates then wants the ceiling skimmed??