Lime plaster setting too fast.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benn

Hi all. I have had problems with render and plaster setting too fast - by the time I've reached the bottom of the wall the top's set too hard to float off. NHL 3.5/sand at 1:2, wall well wetted beforehand, render mixed for 15 mins before using. Also had this with internal plaster mix with NHL 2 and fine sand 1:1.

Render in 3 coats on rubble stone wall (dubbed out) - harl coat 2:1, float coat 2.5:1, finish coat 2:1.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

Hi all. I have had problems with render and plaster setting too fast - by the time I've reached the bottom of the wall the top's set too hard to float off. NHL 3.5/sand at 1:2, wall well wetted beforehand, render mixed for 15 mins before using. Also had this with internal plaster mix with NHL 2 and fine sand 1:1.

Render in 3 coats on rubble stone wall (dubbed out) - harl coat 2:1, float coat 2.5:1, finish coat 2:1.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.
Nhl sucks like a five dollar whore
Hose it down when you get on the job first thing
Even wet it the day before

2 point 5 to 1

When is setting quick try to do it in sections apart from the finish coat.

Hi all. Thanks for the replies.
Seemed ok on the board, just setting fast on the wall.
Used 2.5 sand to 1 lime for floating coat.
Thought I had soaked the wall down (with a hose and sprinkler!), but it's an earth and rubble stone construction so maybe it needed a lot more? Could be that the wall's sucking the water out of the mix?

That's exactly what's happening.
Lime doesn't set, it drys.
And hosing it down once prior to application sometimes isn't enough, to get a low, uniform suction its best just to give it a sprinkle of water every day after each coat whilst it's curing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.