Lime Render dilemma.

Members online

Susie70

Hi all, I'm in Gloucestershire doing up a grade 2* listed building. Halfway through the job the client employed an advisory company regarding conservation and after putting the render scratch coat on the company have piped up that we shouldn't use it because it's supplied from Shropshire not Gloucestershire and it won't match the surrounding buildings. (the client won't pay for it to be painted) It's the back of the building and neighbouring properties are painted lime in all colours and some sand and cement render. The lime we're using will dry to a natural pale lime colour. We had to go out of the County for our supplier because after discussion with the local company they suggested that their product wouldn't be suitable for our job. Does anyone know a reason why lime from one county can't be used in another? The lime render we're using is used all over the country on grade 1 buildings including historic buildings in London. Any ideas on how I can persuade this advisory company to accept the render we're using? I've given them the info about where it's been used and on what buildings but they're digging their heels in. Ideas much appreciated thanks.

Yeah I'd love to but the conservation officer for the council closed the job down last year because a builder the client employed to start the renovation put concrete lintels in some nosey neighbour reported it to the council so all work was stopped and the client is to scared to go against any conservation advice they get.

If anyone could give me evidence of a product called l*m*-g***n ultra being used in Cheltenham on a grade 1 or grade 2* building I would be grateful. Thanks.

Is it NHL 3.5 or a lime putty? What sand are they using and where is it sourced? Its usually the sand that gives it a different shade.

have a read of the spec, on the plans, to see if it mentions that the lime must be from a certain lime pit . i would guess it just states 3 coat lime render.

have a read of the spec, on the plans, to see if it mentions that the lime must be from a certain lime pit . i would guess it just states 3 coat lime render.
Thanks for that. I've looked into it and the client had no plans for the outside of the building only the inside. They didn't really understand the enormity of taking on a 2* listed building which is why they're having problems. They passed on a works report from a local company that was originally going to carry out the plastering and rendering and said use it as a guide /reference. At no point in this report does it state that it has to be followed to the letter and it was never verbally stated to me. It just says external wall to be lime rendered at the bottom of the report it recommends a local lime supplier. The project manager says if I could find a grade 1 or 2* building in Cheltenham where the product we're using has been used we'll be home and dry but I can't find anyone who will put it in writing. So I'm a bit stuffed at the mo'! Thanks for your suggestion it will definitely help.

Thanks for that. I've looked into it and the client had no plans for the outside of the building only the inside. They didn't really understand the enormity of taking on a 2* listed building which is why they're having problems. They passed on a works report from a local company that was originally going to carry out the plastering and rendering and said use it as a guide /reference. At no point in this report does it state that it has to be followed to the letter and it was never verbally stated to me. It just says external wall to be lime rendered at the bottom of the report it recommends a local lime supplier. The project manager says if I could find a grade 1 or 2* building in Cheltenham where the product we're using has been used we'll be home and dry but I can't find anyone who will put it in writing. So I'm a bit stuffed at the mo'! Thanks for your suggestion it will definitely help.

i would tell the project manager that i have only quoted for the render in lime mortar. not chasing around every lime pit in the county looking at different colours. they have handed the render work over to you as they don't have a clue and you have chosen the finest material for the contract.

i would tell the project manager that i have only quoted for the render in lime mortar. not chasing around every lime pit in the county looking at different colours. they have handed the render work over to you as they don't have a clue and you have chosen the finest material for the contract.
Thanks for that. Your quite right. I've shown the project manager all the research I did regarding the most suitable product for the job but he's a bit of a drip tbh! He told me that the conservation consultant hasn't even seen the building or surrounding buildings! I asked him if he could arrange a visit to the property and he lamely replied that 'maybe he could'. I'll keep trying!

Thanks for that. Your quite right. I've shown the project manager all the research I did regarding the most suitable product for the job but he's a bit of a drip tbh! He told me that the conservation consultant hasn't even seen the building or surrounding buildings! I asked him if he could arrange a visit to the property and he lamely replied that 'maybe he could'. I'll keep trying!

if you get no joy, you could always go above the project manager and ask the architect.

Tell the advisory company to f**k off and mind there own business, you deal directly with customer.
giphy (29).gif

Hi all, I'm in Gloucestershire doing up a grade 2* listed building. Halfway through the job the client employed an advisory company regarding conservation and after putting the render scratch coat on the company have piped up that we shouldn't use it because it's supplied from Shropshire not Gloucestershire and it won't match the surrounding buildings. (the client won't pay for it to be painted) It's the back of the building and neighbouring properties are painted lime in all colours and some sand and cement render. The lime we're using will dry to a natural pale lime colour. We had to go out of the County for our supplier because after discussion with the local company they suggested that their product wouldn't be suitable for our job. Does anyone know a reason why lime from one county can't be used in another? The lime render we're using is used all over the country on grade 1 buildings including historic buildings in London. Any ideas on how I can persuade this advisory company to accept the render we're using? I've given them the info about where it's been used and on what buildings but they're digging their heels in. Ideas much appreciated thanks.
Hi
I also live in gloucestershire,....never heard so much rubbish
If you have the l*m*-g***n product it will be fine.

If it help we use a lot of St astier products which are made in france...

Think there's some s**t stiring going on...

Regards

Martin

Thanks Martin, I also think there's some stirring going on but I can't find out who's doing it. It's either someone stirring or this conservation advisor is on his own little power trip.

Have you heard of the traditional lime company, based in cheltenham ? We’re based in Swindon, we use them for the lime products we use, I could find their phone number if you need it.
Was thinking they may be able to advise you.

I wonder if the "conservation advisor" is a mate of the original local company that were going to do the job ??
Or trying to justify their huge fee?

It's bollx, I vote for Carl's reply

I think something like that was going on tbh. Yesterday out of the blue we had the go ahead to finish the rendering. No explanation /apology. So we're getting it on as quick as possible before someone else sticks their beak in!

Hi I’ve just seen you’re post and we are a plastering service who uses lime render very often we are vary experienced and highly recommended let us know if you need our help still thank you

Thanks for the offer. We've completed the rendering now. I wish I'd seen your post sooner. It was a big job for my partner and I and an enthusiastic amateur but we got it done. I'll keep a note of your name in case we need you in the future. Thanks.

Thanks for the offer. We've completed the rendering now. I wish I'd seen your post sooner. It was a big job for my partner and I and an enthusiastic amateur but we got it done. I'll keep a note of your name in case we need you in the future. Thanks.
Glad it turned out ok in the end! Did they pay up ok!?

Yeah they paid, but I'll definitely think twice about taking on a listed again. Grade 2 ok but anything above that probably not!