Lining paper stuck to plasterboard, how to skim

Andy B

Hello,

I am preparing a house (my own) for skimming- this is a combination of skimming over old plaster, overboarding and new dot and dab.

I have a plasterer doing the final skim who, whilst being a good basic plasterer, doesn't have much idea of unusual situations- I think he only does new builds.

I have come across two large stud walls where the plasterboard has been covered with lining paper direct- no plaster skim- obviously taper edge board and filled. It is very well stuck on and scraping and/or steaming only removes the plasterboard facing paper.

I don't particularly want to rip down and reboard all the walls again (not least because getting rid of plasterboard is a pain!). Also I don't want to overboard them as I will end up adjusting all the door casings, skirting etc.

I am wondering about skimming over the lining paper seen as it is so well stuck on.

Obviously the moisture might cause the paste to fail so my plan was to rough up the lining paper with glass paper and give it a coat of oil based primer. I would then PVA the wall and get him to skim it.

Another primer I have successfully used for render is home-mixed SBR and cement slurry which might also work. It's waterproof and provides a good key.

Any thoughts on this??

I know it's a little 'cowboy' but it's my own house and I can't imagine it all falling off as soon as a door is slammed....

Thanks chaps

Andy

Hello,

I am preparing a house (my own) for skimming- this is a combination of skimming over old plaster, overboarding and new dot and dab.

I have a plasterer doing the final skim who, whilst being a good basic plasterer, doesn't have much idea of unusual situations- I think he only does new builds.

I have come across two large stud walls where the plasterboard has been covered with lining paper direct- no plaster skim- obviously taper edge board and filled. It is very well stuck on and scraping and/or steaming only removes the plasterboard facing paper.

I don't particularly want to rip down and reboard all the walls again (not least because getting rid of plasterboard is a pain!). Also I don't want to overboard them as I will end up adjusting all the door casings, skirting etc.

I am wondering about skimming over the lining paper seen as it is so well stuck on.

Obviously the moisture might cause the paste to fail so my plan was to rough up the lining paper with glass paper and give it a coat of oil based primer. I would then PVA the wall and get him to skim it.

Another primer I have successfully used for render is home-mixed SBR and cement slurry which might also work. It's waterproof and provides a good key.

Any thoughts on this??

I know it's a little 'cowboy' but it's my own house and I can't imagine it all falling off as soon as a door is slammed....

Thanks chaps

Andy
Probably will get crucified for this, but so f**k ! If its that stuck on , give the areas that are ragged a sand back, paint the walls with an oil based undercoat, creates a water tight barrier, then coat the walls with pink grit (Betokontact) from Knauf , Jewsons. 0r Blue Grit, Tool Station. This will give the plaster a key, will hang for ages though. Good luck.

Probably will get crucified for this, but so f**k ! If its that stuck on , give the areas that are ragged a sand back, paint the walls with an oil based undercoat, creates a water tight barrier, then coat the walls with pink grit (Betokontact) from Knauf , Jewsons. 0r Blue Grit, Tool Station. This will give the plaster a key, will hang for ages though. Good luck.
I thought blue grit as well if it really won't come off but I can't see a need for oil based paint behind it.

Great reply Gav, restored faith in the forum.

Great reply Gav, restored faith in the forum.
Ra ha ha.

You have angered the Man and now you're going to pay.
1568723911781.png

What do you mean by that?

This forum has been helping people for the last 15 odd years...

faith does not need restoring it has always been there...
Agree taught me how to be a 65 percent half decent mono don . Thanks @CeeVee Where ever you are and @Topspread16 for tips . Topspread even said if I can do a job that's 85percent acceptable I can be first of three forum invites to his wedding

It's a great forum that's why I am on here and I was reading it long before posting.
It is spoiled at times by some long term members going beyond banter that's all I'm saying. It's only my personal opinion.

So you're going to go to all the trouble of painting and gritting it which might fail anyway rather than just rip it down and put new boards up? Bloody mad. Just do it right ffs, rubble bagging a few sheets of board and taking them to the skip isn't that much hassle

So you're going to go to all the trouble of painting and gritting it which might fail anyway rather than just rip it down and put new boards up? Bloody mad. Just do it right ffs, rubble bagging a few sheets of board and taking them to the skip isn't that much hassle
Read back, the guy has explained why he does not want to do that.

Oil base primer to create barrier then pva and skim..not ideal but needs must sometimes. Zinsser Cover stain dries quick enough
It does, mate, but you get three types, oil based, meths based and water based. Was just trying to make things simple. Its also more expensive that a standard undercoat, but ye the oil based one for, def, if your out to save time, can re-coat in an hour tops.

Hello,

Any thoughts on this??

Thanks chaps

Andy
Yip seen it done. But bottom line is liability. Are you taking it if it fails. Does the plasterer know you are going to prime lining paper.

It's a great forum that's why I am on here and I was reading it long before posting.
It is spoiled at times by some long term members going beyond banter that's all I'm saying. It's only my personal opinion.
If your looking for your toys, their on the floor ! Look ! :ROFLMAO:

Read back, the guy has explained why he does not want to do that.
He said he doesn't want to do it because it's tough to get rid of the plasterboard, hence why I said it's not really that much hassle to rubble bag it up and pop to a skip? Not wanting to do something right because it's abit of work and a trip to the skip isn't a good enough reason to bodge it

He said he doesn't want to do it because it's tough to get rid of the plasterboard, hence why I said it's not really that much hassle to rubble bag it up and pop to a skip? Not wanting to do something right because it's abit of work and a trip to the skip isn't a good enough reason to bodge it

Its only a bodge, if it fails, which is unlikley . Imo

No that was only a part of it, Gavine has given him an alternative to taking it all off.
Now he can make an informed choice and as he says it's his own house.

No that was only a part of it, Gavine has given him an alternative to taking it all off.
Now he can make an informed choice and as he says it's his own house.
And the other part of it was what?