Lucky break, and is plastic fantastic?

Chris J

Evening all, just wanted to say thanks for the feedback on my first solo project, I took a lot of the comments on board. Since then I’ve been lucky enough to pick up some trowel time locally working with a guy who’s happy for me earn while I learn from him on some of his renovation projects. Been putting out some sound work, but sadly my own kitchen ceiling turned out a bit s**t!:confused: Clearly large areas are my limitations and I was covering Artex.
Kinda get the point now that if you’ve got the basic skills a course is a bit pointless. I can see progress already and my confidence slowly growing each time I work.
Always invest in more kit every time I do a job so I bought a 16” ox plastic trowel to try today. f**k**g brilliant, never needed the spray bottle once!
Keep ya posted how it all goes, just maybe I might be able to cut it as a plasterer yet ;)

Evening all, just wanted to say thanks for the feedback on my first solo project, I took a lot of the comments on board. Since then I’ve been lucky enough to pick up some trowel time locally working with a guy who’s happy for me earn while I learn from him on some of his renovation projects. Been putting out some sound work, but sadly my own kitchen ceiling turned out a bit s**t!:confused: Clearly large areas are my limitations and I was covering Artex.
Kinda get the point now that if you’ve got the basic skills a course is a bit pointless. I can see progress already and my confidence slowly growing each time I work.
Always invest in more kit every time I do a job so I bought a 16” ox plastic trowel to try today. f**k**g brilliant, never needed the spray bottle once!
Keep ya posted how it all goes, just maybe I might be able to cut it as a plasterer yet ;)

Dont for the love of god use it for the wet trowel if that's what your doing!!!!

@John j

Not how hes using it!!!
The ox and max.s are alot kore firmer then the refina. I dont get on with em but think its all @Danny uses after second coat.
Think i said before i know 2 plasterers that got court letter from using em . But to be fair they are prob get court letter from lost their work

All old cars had chokes
yes what that got to do whith old school spreads that took more pride in ther work than this generation that obsessed how much money they can do in a day to get ther perfect car house holiday to keep up whith his m8

yes what that got to do whith old school spreads that took more pride in ther work than this generation that obsessed how much money they can do in a day to get ther perfect car house holiday to keep up whith his m8
PRogress

Things change is what i.m saying.

Personally i dont care what anyone uses as long as its a nice job and they get paid. Think its all bout preference. Before i get plastic out alot would prob say walls finish but i have to give it a flick with plastic. As i say to lad it just gets fur of lol
Some lads on here can use ther debit card on the ceiling on 500 a day they charge

Using all these trowel is a joke. All old school spread had only one decent trowel and ther work was faultless
giphy (29).gif

Using all these trowel is a joke. All old school spread had only one decent trowel and ther work was faultless
agreed pal.
all these plazi flexi bollocky trowels are all fkin gimmicks.
the limp wristed fannies quest to make this trade 'easier' has in fact over-complicated it all...saw a video a while back of a t**t showing people 'how to skim' in 7 stages using 4 pieces of equipment what a cuuuunt and don't get me started on the fkin sponge floaters :muyenojado:

Well I've used a bit skim over past couple of years. Sometimes it does look s**t but when painted it spot on. No inperfection not bragging lol
Alot of people don't like their work looking s**t even if it is only before it's painted. Alot of the time builders might not see it painted just see it looking s**t and ring a different plasterer next time.
So you don't even skim regularly?

Alot of people don't like their work looking s**t even if it is only before it's painted. Alot of the time builders might not see it painted just see it looking s**t and ring a different plasterer next time.
Don't work for builders so don't now what looks bad and looks good. The only thing I know is my work spot on when painted had no complaint And I've being at it myself 20 od years paid two houses off nearly. paid my bills had a pint every week holiday every year and mainly the kids have had a good childhood so I'm happy

Don't work for builders so don't now what looks bad and looks good. The only thing I know is my work spot on when painted had no complaint And I've being at it myself 20 od years paid two houses off nearly. paid my bills had a pint every week holiday every year and mainly the kids have had a good childhood so I'm happy
Christ didn't want your life story lol

Gathering whith you threads your life story will be about obsessed about money and how much you can do on jobs fuking sad
Not at all. Just if someone says I'm £100 a day labourer thought I'd prove the c**t wrong (y)

I’m one of them, I use to get a finish that looked like the lines on Wembley turf , I’m fu cked if I can achieve that now for whatever reason, I still use the same method of application, even 3 coat sometimes ( like I always use too) , I’m blaming the multi , that’s my excuse anyway

I’m one of them, I use to get a finish that looked like the lines on Wembley turf , I’m fu cked if I can achieve that now for whatever reason, I still use the same method of application, even 3 coat sometimes ( like I always use too) , I’m blaming the multi , that’s my excuse anyway
Looks OK painted?

Yea of course!! even my s**t walls that I’m not happy with look very good painted , but I like them to look good before paint goes on them, that’s what the eyes and the touch of potential customers will see and feel , or maybe I’m just an ocd autistic nut nut
Im like that some times I've gone past caring what people think any more. If they look spot on when painted and you've being paid that what matters. Nobody going to see the skim after week or so.

Yea of course!! even my s**t walls that I’m not happy with look very good painted , but I like them to look good before paint goes on them, that’s what the eyes and the touch of potential customers will see and feel , or maybe I’m just an ocd autistic nut nut

100% mate it's how we were taught it was a badge of honour for your work to look clean and tidy apose to a tramps work with water not chased out properly and such.

It consumed me last year trying to achieve what I've been able to finish like for over 20 years and I still haven't managed to catch the work like I used to with a early wet cross that like you say would look like someone had mowed Wembley grass.

I've given up now and am honest enough to admit after slating plazas flexis & spats tried them all now to help the work along!