My first attempt at skimming (photo)

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allyw

Hi all,
I had a go at skimming last night (photo attached). I am reasonably happy with the results. I put on two thin coats of multi finish. I gave it two wet and two dry trowels (dwwd). It feels polished to touch. There are couple of drag marks here and there that I couldn't fill out after the second coat cost it was too stiff. I am wondering if I can apply a 3rd thin coat? If so do I need to wait a few weeks for it to dry completely? Do I need to give it a coat or two or PVA or would it stick ok?

One other thing - when I mixed my first batch it was a bit too thick so it went off too quickly. When I got to the right hand side I had to use a spray of water to help work the plaster in. Am I an idiot for doing this? Is this a no no?

I'm hoping it will hold to the wall - that will be the acid test!

Any comments greatly appreciated. photo.JPG

@ Dannymac - the wall was old plasterboard with the lining paper removed. I cleaned it up and applied two coats of pva, one dry one tacky.

So you were skimming onto the plaster inner of the plasterboard right? If so this would explain why it set on you so quickly. 2 coats of PVA probably isn't enough to adequately kill the suction.

Having said this, you did give it a couple of coats so I would be 95% sure that it wont fall off.

If you are going to paint it, give it one watered down coat of whatever colour you will be using. The bad bits will become more apparent, then fill where required with easyfill and sand when dry and decorate.

Well done :)

make sure you water down the paint and also you will prob need to give the whole wall a light sand as newbies tend to over polish :)

You will get better the more you do :)

@bodplasterer - think i've found my limits. Think the ceiling would be biting off more than I could chew!

i dont think it was meant as a compliment as such,as mentioned looks good for a diy job.well done for havin a go,its not as easy as people make it look.

Status
Not open for further replies.