My first plastering DIY job

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazdkw82

Hi,

We've decided to decorate the hall/stairs and landing and upon stripping the paper have noticed a fair amount of plaster thats come away from the wall back to brick.

Iv taken of most of the shot plaster and am now left with plaster thats seems sound.

Me and my friend are planning on plastering these sections but im a little stuck on what type of plaster to use. For the bigger sections (pretty much a whole wall around the door) should i go for hardwall and then finish coat skim? or toughcoat and then finish plaster? and the smaller sections (around 2mx2m sections) just a one coat filler of somekind?

photo1.jpg

photoup.jpg

photo3up.jpg photoup.jpg

Welcome to the forum.
You should use bonding coat on the exposed brick sections followed by multi finish over the whole lot. Remember to use pva on all of it it to reduce suction. You will need to water this down slightly about 20 - 30% water.
If you have never plastered before then you are best off getting a spread to do it for you. That's what we are here for.
Good luck.

Remember to post pics after you have finished, so we can have a laugh..................urrm I mean give you some pointers........:RpS_thumbup:

Hardwall and skim the big areas,wet it beforehand, don't mix it too soft, you can skim the same day..

This is what I'm doing. Iv got the hardwall plaster and multi finish plaster.

Do I need to pva the walls? I thought you didn't need to with hardwall plaster on common bricks?

This is what I'm doing. Iv got the hardwall plaster and multi finish plaster.

Do I need to pva the walls? I thought you didn't need to with hardwall plaster on common bricks?
No need for pva on bricks,blocks etc, just damp down, you only need to pva the old walls where the plaster remains if you wish to skim over this,

No need for pva on bricks,blocks etc, just damp down, you only need to pva the old walls where the plaster remains if you wish to skim over this,

do you mean I should pva if I want to skim over the existing plaster for a nice finish or pva the small small sections of brick which have good existing plaster surrounding it?

Pva any existing plaster that you will need to plaster

Once iv filled the big bits in I plan to skim the whole lot (the new hardwall plaster and the existing plaster) should I wire brush the original plaster then pva it then skim the entire lot?

Once iv filled the big bits in I plan to skim the whole lot (the new hardwall plaster and the existing plaster) should I wire brush the original plaster then pva it then skim the entire lot?
Mmm, no wire brushing,pva everything twice, leaving three hrs between coats or use bond it or similar the day before..

Hold on, I thought you don't need to pva the wall with hardwall on brick??

I'm confused now
I had moved on from there, pva only the old plaster, forget about the bricks, you have plastered that one, no need to pva hardwall unless it has gone very dry.

I had moved on from there, pva only the old plaster, forget about the bricks, you have plastered that one, no need to pva hardwall unless it has gone very dry.

Ahh ok so pva the existing plaster prior to skim and also pva the hardwall prior to skim?

Fookin hell u got it now gaz mate ? Haha only messin Johns explanation was fine if u had any clue at all already , u'l hava a right ball !

Well i think it went pretty well.

When the bounding coat was drying it started to show hairline cracks which made me feel nervous (not sure if that's normal or not) I scoured lines in it and then did the skim finish.

I actually enjoyed doing it and I think it looks pretty good for a complete beginner. Once it's dried I'll sand some of the rough edges and it should be good to go :)

Thanks for your help :)

Cant figure out how to upload photos?

Well i think it went pretty well.

When the bounding coat was drying it started to show hairline cracks which made me feel nervous (not sure if that's normal or not) I scoured lines in it and then did the skim finish.

I actually enjoyed doing it and I think it looks pretty good for a complete beginner. Once it's dried I'll sand some of the rough edges and it should be good to go :)

Thanks for your help :)

Cant figure out how to upload photos?

That is why I PVA the bricks as well. Glad it went well for you. Not sure how to upload photo's but I'm sure someone else will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.