Need Some Advice about patching and wonky wall

Selfbuild

Hi all, I have 2 questions that I'm hoping you can advise me on.

Q1. Taken artex off wall and noticed some blown plaster, knocked off area's blown back to solid wall and wanted to know where to go next. What to bond the wall with SBR or PVA or any other? Then what to use as first coat, sand and cement or bonding. The wall at present varies in thickness from about 10mm to 20mm.
Q2. I also want to tile a cloakroom, I have three quite flat walls which are plasterboard but one that is plastered. The plastered wall is at least 18mm out from mid wall to top. Was thinking of taking off the lower half of the wall to bring level with the top. Didn't want to increase top half of wall height because I would have to reroute pipework. Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated. I unfortunately can't afford a plasterer or any other tradesman to carry out work so will have to do it myself. I am reasonably handy with most things but never tried plastering so thanks for any information. Attached some pics of cloakroom and stairs if this helps.

Attachments

• 20191120_143638.jpg
    20191120_143638.jpg
    479 KB · Views: 209
  • 20191120_143701.jpg
    20191120_143701.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 225
  • 20191122_114557.jpg
    20191122_114557.jpg
    607.2 KB · Views: 205
  • 20191122_114611.jpg
    20191122_114611.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 202
Hi all, I have 2 questions that I'm hoping you can advise me on.

Q1. Taken artex off wall and noticed some blown plaster, knocked off area's blown back to solid wall and wanted to know where to go next. What to bond the wall with SBR or PVA or any other? Then what to use as first coat, sand and cement or bonding. The wall at present varies in thickness from about 10mm to 20mm.
Q2. I also want to tile a cloakroom, I have three quite flat walls which are plasterboard but one that is plastered. The plastered wall is at least 18mm out from mid wall to top. Was thinking of taking off the lower half of the wall to bring level with the top. Didn't want to increase top half of wall height because I would have to reroute pipework. Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated. I unfortunately can't afford a plasterer or any other tradesman to carry out work so will have to do it myself. I am reasonably handy with most things but never tried plastering so thanks for any information. Attached some pics of cloakroom and stairs if this helps.

Box the pipework in, will look neater if tiling.

Usually use hardwall if back to brick, just soak the wall with water.

No fines? Did one a couple of years back and pav'd and bonded it. My mate's mrs bought it as a renter. He went in with a steamer to strip the paper off. Ended up replastering the whole house! :LOL:

Looks like concrete construction so you'd be all right with pva and bonding.
Yeah kind of, it's stone chips really hard to drill with concrete slurry mix and looks like bonding then multifinish. Thanks for reply. Is there a specific reason why you use PVA over SBR?

No fines? Did one a couple of years back and pav'd and bonded it. My mate's mrs bought it as a renter. He went in with a steamer to strip the paper off. Ended up replastering the whole house! :LOL:
Did mine with warm water and spray bottle forearms were killing me. Lucky for me just this one patch, seems like it must have never quite stuck properly in this section. Could have left it as no cracks or bowing but thought if I'm going to do it do it properly as it was hollow when knocked.

So you gonna make a trowel and hawk to cut down on cost Buckets mixing paddle ect
Already got a gold 14" marshalltown bought some time back not used yet though, suppose to be quite good. Had to do a little render around door that the egdes had been knocked off. That was pretty hard getting it to look okay with no beading. Wiil do it again when I can afford a new front door, maybe next year if I'm lucky. Already have buckets and bucket trowel and mixer for drill, so should be okay.

Box the pipework in, will look neater if tiling.

Usually use hardwall if back to brick, just soak the wall with water.
Thanks for advice. I was thinking boxing in would look much better. Just one thing, what would you use to box in pipes to tile on and keep access to pipework?

If I use bonding on the wall to bring it to around 4mm approx on stairs would it be best to use multifinish or something like easyfil to feather out from the edges. In other words lol, how do you make patching plaster as invisable as possible? How do you guys do it?

Yeah kind of, it's stone chips really hard to drill with concrete slurry mix and looks like bonding then multifinish. Thanks for reply. Is there a specific reason why you use PVA over SBR?
Sbr is overkill for a small internal patch.

Thanks for advice. I was thinking boxing in would look much better. Just one thing, what would you use to box in pipes to tile on and keep access to pipework?

If pipework is sound then you'll probably never need to access it. Just put some 3x2 cls or similar below the lowest bit and across the whole wall and box up to ceiling. It will always look s**t as water will condense on it and go mouldy and you'll be forever painting it.

Did mine with warm water and spray bottle forearms were killing me. Lucky for me just this one patch, seems like it must have never quite stuck properly in this section. Could have left it as no cracks or bowing but thought if I'm going to do it do it properly as it was hollow when knocked.
you never thought to get a pump sprayer?

ha ha , insurance.
if that don't get 300 likes i'm off to the B and Q forum.
(bring back Gavine]

If pipework is sound then you'll probably never need to access it. Just put some 3x2 cls or similar below the lowest bit and across the whole wall and box up to ceiling. It will always look s**t as water will condense on it and go mouldy and you'll be forever painting it.
All pipework will be replaced, but was unsure with not having stopcock access, I suppose I could put a valve on pipework further along after boxing because valves will be on tapes anyway. Thanks for giving me some thoughts.

All pipework will be replaced, but was unsure with not having stopcock access, I suppose I could put a valve on pipework further along after boxing because valves will be on tapes anyway. Thanks for giving me some thoughts.
Valves on tape?