networing?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive been invited to networking meetings in the past but have never gone as i didnt know wot was expected of me etc but after getting a invites frm one guy i decided to attend one on wed. seemed like a friendly bunch of people and claimed to beable to provide good contacts and good refurals etc. the main man reconded that it cost him about a grand to be a member per year but since been a member his busness had incressed 10fold. a couple people told me it would be ideal for my trade to get in with other trades as wel as some of the big boys in building.

just wondering if anyone else has attened or is a member and how well it has worked or is it just a ripoff?

tar guys

i have been invited to breakfast clubs. i have never turned up, it would be ok if you did not work yourself. i do not want to try to start work late morning, after these clubs finish.
there is a charge for these clubs, so there is some people earning an easy living.

I've been invited but never went I thought it wasn't my cup of tea as most of my work is private domestic work

We networked with other trades while on jobs, you see the standard of folks work then. Now if anyone wants another trade we can recommend them and they do the same for us.

Customers are good too - starting a good job next week, the customer told the contractors doing the building work that we are doing the plastering no questions.. Nice when that happens

The thing that put me off was recomending someone i didnt know and funnily enough, front page of my local paper a couple of weeks ago had a story about a restaurant owner taking a builder to trading standards, coz of work he wasnt happy with, also on his letter heads said he was a member of the BBA but wasnt and they are in the same networking group lol

i have been invited to breakfast clubs. i have never turned up, it would be ok if you did not work yourself. i do not want to try to start work late morning, after these clubs finish.
there is a charge for these clubs, so there is some people earning an easy living.

yeah, i was playing catch up all day coz of a late start..

so im getting the feeling nobodys a member and its pobably a waste oftime nd money

I do networking every friday morning and get loads out it. The point made about recommending someone you don't know is easy solved, don't recommend anyone unless your sure they are good. It has opened loads of doors for me and the contacts i've made through it have been priceless but it is a large group that meets so **** loads of work gets passed about. I went as a vistior and got a job for £1500 so thought what the hell lets try this and never looked back since. Every networking group is different though, you get your good and your bad but the thing is if you get invited along as a visitor it won't cost you anything but will let you get your business cards out to other trades etc so i would say go along and give it a try, if you don't like the look of it don't join, but you will still have passed your cards out to folk who you may get work from.

so do u pay to be a member stuart? the one i when to cost 700 odd quid to join then £10 a week.. which i think is too steep but i guess there not all that expensive?

I paid 600 i think it was then 10 a week but the job i got going as visitor paid for it anyway. I wouldn't just go joining any of them though, go along and see if theres anyone there who you think you could get work from such as joiners, builders, roofers, kitchen companys, letting agents. Some of these networking events are mostly lawyers and accountants though so you need to be careful and work out if you will get a return for your outlay so thats why i would go to as many of these as you can as the very worst you will do is get your name out there and your business cards in pockets of people who wouldn't have had it before.

What did you think dan did you go to one?

ive a couple of builder friends that keep asking me to go I will one day.. I think the meeting is nice an early in the morning as in 6am.

£500 + £10 per meet a year

They me be full of Laywers, accounts etc, all of which are minted, and need someone to at some point to work on there houses.

clicked on the wrong thread......thought the title was notworking..............:RpS_blushing:

Status
Not open for further replies.