NEW AT THIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay73

hi all,just started out as a plasterer, iv started in my bedroom done two walls. 1st wall is 10 by 8 foot ,2nd wall is 12 by 8 ( small to you pro's but felt like wall of china to me lol) put first coat of plaster on by the time i finished wall the plaster went of to quick and struggled so put on another layer .when finally finished it was'nt all that bad , had a few hollows. that happened on both walls so i did another coat on first wall but used a sponge this time found it better and finished look good but had sponge lines in it when dryed,why is this. on the weekend im doing a window wall any tips. iv done a two week course which is why im started out as a plasterer . great forum by the way. shall keep you posted on how i get on.

sounds like to me you didnt pva your walls hence it went off quick always pva unless on board or float and set on the same day,
my advice never use a sponge get a gardners squirty bottle but use sparingly only towrads end when trowling up always two coat and most important of all dont panic

i did panic but i did put two coats of pva, the mix i used was 1 to 1 ?think i was a bit slow putting it on as i was smoothing it out as i was applying

on your first coat just fire it on as quick as you can, then go back and smooth it out just taking the lines out then add 2nd when ur first is just starting to go off, try not to panic as you can keep wetting and pulling it in if it starts to go wrong

sponge float got me out trouble loads when i was starting out, still use it for render now.

yeh should be ok...long as you aint got it wet, look out for lumps when u mix up, mainly bits off the bag...
all you need to do is get the plaster on the wall...and treat the wall as a whole, dont stay in one place playin with it..youll send it off quicker cos youre forcing the water to the surface where it evaporates

:-? well just done the window wall and its gone not to good,big hollows around window wall, so going to do another coat,question is how do i stop getting hollows when applying ?

cheers mate,iv been using 1 partwater to part pva, no wonder it didnt last long lol.whats the best way to clean dust sheets any 1 .

:-? well just done the window wall and its gone not to good,big hollows around window wall, so going to do another coat,question is how do i stop getting hollows when applying ?
to stop hollows try to lay it on with your trowel as flat as you can so your nit dragin the plaster off

hey all,if i was going to plaster ,say,a big ceiling, is it poss to do it in 2 sections.i really hav'nt done a ceiling yet and its stoping me going alone.im going to do a 8 by 8ft ceiling in my house but should be ok to do just not sure on bigger ones :-/

sounds like your overskimming something, maybe bonding or hardwall? are you sure theyre air bubbles cos one school of thought says its excess water...
anyway i assume what youre on about is little pimples like goose bumps on the first coat..if you get em on the second coat too what your doin is toppin too quick, let the first pull in a bit more before you flatten it and youll take em out, then top as normal..if theyre still there do the same again, stay with it and youll take em out as it dries...not really a major issue, happens a lot..specially skimming over hardwall/bonding

Do you mind if I ask where you did your course?
Only I would have thought that in 2 weeks they should have given you some practice on atleast a small ceiling!?
The blisters can be flattened out with a dry trowel, Id stay away from a sponge aswell mate if you can.
Just remember with the first coat get it up as quick as possible, if your going to play with it make sure its on the wall first

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.