New in plastering?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23452
  • Start date

Members online

D

Deleted member 23452

Was chatting to a mate about the building game and what has/hasn't changed over the years for a few trades. The answer for most is not much.

Thought I'd ask on here because as far as I can think the only truly 'new' thing in plastering in the last 100 years has been the introduction of boards. Anyone think of anything else?

There have been plenty of tweaks and mods, but it's still basically base coat and skim coat put on with a trowel.

Was chatting to a mate about the building game and what has/hasn't changed over the years for a few trades. The answer for most is not much.

Thought I'd ask on here because as far as I can think the only truly 'new' thing in plastering in the last 100 years has been the introduction of boards. Anyone think of anything else?

There have been plenty of tweaks and mods, but it's still basically base coat and skim coat put on with a trowel.
Their have been great advances in sarcasm

Quite a lot actually! The greed has killed the trade. Not the skills , but the numbers dictate now.

Product wise there’s been a lot of change but the uptakes on using them has been terrible really,
Bg pro range
Bauwer render
Think the other new one is proof shield similar to Bauwer
Another is l*m*-g***n ( not sure if they been around for a while or not though )
Could possibly add airless to the list too
Also my collomix paddle cleaning bucket

Depends where you live, i moved away from South East and assumed id have little work, infact work is outsrripping workers up hear.

Imagine back in the day
No one day courses
No worms
& real men doing real graft & no fooking moaning about mixing in a bath all day

Wish I was working in them days
I was definitely born in the wrong time

Imagine back in the day
No one day courses
No worms
& real men doing real graft & no fooking moaning about mixing in a bath all day

Wish I was working in them days
I was definitely born in the wrong time
Whats a worm?

a few changes that i can remember.
angle beads instead of fitting rules.
external wall insulation.
thin coat systems.
screed pumps.
no hod work.
electric paddles.
pre mixed plaster.
self finishing plasters.
metal rules.
when i purchased a marshalltown 14 inch trowel,i had to go to London to be able to buy it. the other plasterers all laughed and called it a sabra.
Archie O'Connell saw this trowel and told me to order 200 of them for his day workers. who all cried off to the union
the union told O'Connell that he could not issue them to his workforce as they were classed as cement finishing trowels not plastering trowels.

Paper side for decoration, card for skim
The edges were taped better than today's boards

yellow plastic buckets ,a simple brilliant idea,......not many of us wear overalls now,.....scruffy barmpots walking about wearing tracksuit bottoms,......when i first started some plasterers wearing ties for work,......no smoking ban ,...getting picked up in the morning the back of the laings van was a health hazard,....mobile phones so much time wasted had one labourer constantly on phone/facebook etc ,..........he soon went,......

...mobile phones so much time wasted had one labourer constantly on phone/facebook etc ,..........he soon went,......
That bloke has grown up and got a family now ,,,,, Eh?

New builds is how quick how cheap unfortunately.
New machines
New trowels
New spats
New materials....etc
Industries changed mate (y)

Long live @Nisus xx

I'd put all those in as changes to stuff that existed already tbh, with the exception of spraying.
New builds is how quick how cheap unfortunately.
New machines
New trowels
New spats
New materials....etc
Industries changed mate (y)

Long live @Nisus xx

That was the sort of stuff we were talking about, the only new thing in that list is the machine. Aside from that and the introduction of boards it's the same trade as 100 years ago and requires the same skills. It's the same for brick laying, carpentry, roofing, groundwork and drainage.

If you had a time machine and move a skilled tradesman forward or backward 100 years and stuck them on a building site. Once they'd got up to speed on the change in products and tools that do the same job as the stuff they're used to but with a slight variation they'd be able to crack on.

I guess one thing that would have changed across the trades is the way they've been broken down into different disciplines.

I'd put all those in as changes to stuff that existed already tbh, with the exception of spraying.

That was the sort of stuff we were talking about, the only new thing in that list is the machine. Aside from that and the introduction of boards it's the same trade as 100 years ago and requires the same skills. It's the same for brick laying, carpentry, roofing, groundwork and drainage.

If you had a time machine and move a skilled tradesman forward or backward 100 years and stuck them on a building site. Once they'd got up to speed on the change in products and tools that do the same job as the stuff they're used to but with a slight variation they'd be able to crack on.

I guess one thing that would have changed across the trades is the way they've been broken down into different disciplines.

Even joiners and plumbers have changed mate.
We now get..
roofers
Boiler men
Kitchen fitters etc

Makes no odds really them bills never stop lol (y)(y)