New member introduction; main interest is fibrous plaster mouldings.

Members online

DaveCP

Hello all,

I'm here to learn and hopefully share difficulties I encounter on my journey to discover more of the wonderful world of fibrous plaster. I've been very impressed with the discussions I read before my un-registered views ran out. I'm mostly interested in cornice work and have some, self-taught, experience of bench running. Recently I've been experimenting with reverse-moulds but have not yet mastered releasing product without damaging them and the mould!

I'm based in Coventry and find getting supplies difficult - no one seems to stock fine casting and delivery costs are huge. I mostly use dental plaster bought locally at Astley's Trade Centre, behind the Tile Hill Sainsbury's. Dental plaster is not my choice but is the only type I can get easily so, I would love to hear if anyone knows of suppliers in Coventry who stock casting plaster or if any locals want to collaborate and share a pallet delivery.

I'm also interested in lime plastering and everything to do with traditional building techniques (and some more recent trends using traditional materials such as hemp-plaster/hempcrete).

Looking forward to reading about your expertise and projects!

Dave
IMG_0338.JPG

Hello all,

I'm here to learn and hopefully share difficulties I encounter on my journey to discover more of the wonderful world of fibrous plaster. I've been very impressed with the discussions I read before my un-registered views ran out. I'm mostly interested in cornice work and have some, self-taught, experience of bench running. Recently I've been experimenting with reverse-moulds but have not yet mastered releasing product without damaging them and the mould!

I'm based in Coventry and find getting supplies difficult - no one seems to stock fine casting and delivery costs are huge. I mostly use dental plaster bought locally at Astley's Trade Centre, behind the Tile Hill Sainsbury's. Dental plaster is not my choice but is the only type I can get easily so, I would love to hear if anyone knows of suppliers in Coventry who stock casting plaster or if any locals want to collaborate and share a pallet delivery.

I'm also interested in lime plastering and everything to do with traditional building techniques (and some more recent trends using traditional materials such as hemp-plaster/hempcrete).

Dave
View attachment 41672
When making a mould why not make it in two pours , latex first

When making a mould why not make it in two pours , latex first
I haven't tried any latex or silicone mould making yet, maybe when I have to do something irregular. The simplicity of plaster reverse moulds pleases me (or will do when I master releasing them!).

Hello all,

Dave
View attachment 41672
Are you absolutely sure that you don't want to moan about some work you've had done?
Nice to see a proper new member.

Are you absolutely sure that you don't want to moan about some work you've had done?
Nice to see a proper new member.
Ha! The only work I moan about is stuff I've done without engaging the brain first and messed up - thankfully rarer since I've mastered the art of a slow start and plenty of tea!

Hello all,

Dave
View attachment 41672
good morning sir /best time to pick my brain is when the rums flowing round my vanes welcome

good morning sir /best time to pick my brain is when the rums flowing round my vanes welcome
Be honest with him Norm , it's a small window of opportunity between the lid coming off and two warm up measures

Hello all,

Dave
View attachment 41672
Hello mate,
Nice bit of work, Christ your running horse is splendid work makes mine looki a right sack of s**t

Hello mate,
Nice bit of work, Christ your running horse is splendid work makes mine looki a right sack of s**t
That one's a little over-engineered. My recent ones have been much more rough and ready. I keep thinking a nice one with nuts and bolts could be used with different profile blades but never seem to get it right, it's always easier to knock a quick one up for the current job.

That one's a little over-engineered. My recent ones have been much more rough and ready. I keep thinking a nice one with nuts and bolts could be used with different profile blades but never seem to get it right, it's always easier to knock a quick one up for the current job.
That’s what I tell myself anyway