New person plastering

Members online

JustANewbie

Hi everyone

I wonder if you can give me some pointers, I've been on a two week plastering course, thoroughly enjoyed it and did really well (apart from ceilings, I hated that...)

I'm at home and started my first project - plastering over an old internal porch that I've removed to create a larger hallway. I've been taught with multi thistle on board so have pretty much zero experience on what to use where. The porch was originally a brick internal wall, and I've been building up the layers 2mm at a time (about 10mm in total I need to build up)

I've been mixing the multi so it ends up looking like chocolate mouse with a little water hanging around, yesterday, I put another two layers and I didn't see at the time, but I now have a big nasty lump in my plaster - I must have put it on too thick

How should I deal with this?

Thankyou for any help

IMG_20180314_132417.jpg IMG_20180314_132407.jpg

Your using multi 2mm at a time to build up to 10mm ?? They didnt teach you much did they? Did you not quiz the guy who taught you for advice on your project??
Did you do any boarding with dri wall adhesive ?? Or to float a wall with hardwall??

Top marks for having a go, but not really the way to go about it.

The porch wall should have been built up with Hard wall (a backing plaster) to the level of your hallway, then you could skim the lot through with multi. Hard wall is designed to go on thickly and build out, multi is a finishing coat.

If you've got a lump, then chisel it out, till its below the surrounding surface level. If you're skimming, the whole wall, then level it out with a bit of bonding plaster. If not, then I'd be tempted to use some easifil which will allow you to sand and blend in with the existing.

Hi everyone

I wonder if you can give me some pointers, I've been on a two week plastering course, thoroughly enjoyed it and did really well (apart from ceilings, I hated that...)

I'm at home and started my first project - plastering over an old internal porch that I've removed to create a larger hallway. I've been taught with multi thistle on board so have pretty much zero experience on what to use where. The porch was originally a brick internal wall, and I've been building up the layers 2mm at a time (about 10mm in total I need to build up)

I've been mixing the multi so it ends up looking like chocolate mouse with a little water hanging around, yesterday, I put another two layers and I didn't see at the time, but I now have a big nasty lump in my plaster - I must have put it on too thick

Thankyou for any help

View attachment 22337 View attachment 22338
Hahaha you are one funny f**k*r!
I'm surprised that the others took your bait so easily.
Hopefully this won't be your last funny post?

Hi everyone

Thankyou for any help

how much do you want for your mixer ??

Hi everyone

Thankyou for any help

I need pics of your wife or girlfriend or mum before I can help? Or sexy neighbour would do?

Top marks for having a go, but not really the way to go about it.

The porch wall should have been built up with Hard wall (a backing plaster) to the level of your hallway, then you could skim the lot through with multi. Hard wall is designed to go on thickly and build out, multi is a finishing coat.

If you've got a lump, then chisel it out, till its below the surrounding surface level. If you're skimming, the whole wall, then level it out with a bit of bonding plaster. If not, then I'd be tempted to use some easifil which will allow you to sand and blend in with the existing.
Follow this advice.