New plaster cracked

Well, update for anyone who’s interested, decided the only way to learn is to persevere and have another ‘crack’ at it. Rubbed it down a bit with some medium grit paper & wiped off the dust. Put some orange scrim tape over it cus orange is a stronger colour than blue apparently, still found it hard to get it to stick. Couldn’t get hold of your tape tapit, where stocks it out of interest? Rollered on some 5:1 PVA and left it a bit then started mixing some multifinish up. PVA’d again and started putting 1st coat on. What a nightmare! I’d made the mix too wet so plastered the floor too, but the main problem was despite the PVA it was setting way too quickly. Could feel it dragging on the trowel, scraping and tearing early on even with a shallow angle on the trowel. Tried not to panic and just get it all covered and coated, but then had to second coat straight after out of same mix as it was going off so quick on the wall had no time to clean up and mix again. Just about rescued with lots of wet trowelling, just have to wait now and see how many cracks appear this time! PVA was an old 5:1 mix I made some time back so wonder if it was too weak and maybe doesn’t keep (it was inside away from frost mind).

Beginning to see now how important the preparation is, and how easily it can all go wrong.

Don’t seem to be able to post pics today.
glad you asked, the tape will be available from early new year but it is for fixing beads although i am also working on a new scrim tape as well.

@lurpak links are rarely worth looking at, here is a video to be going on with.

@lurpak links are rarely worth looking at, here is a video to be going on with.
View attachment 42065

Well I’m no expert but sounds like a good idea, I’ve never tried to fix beads up as a diyer but have tried nailing in to masonry and it’s never worked well for me. Same for trying to tack conduit in place for cabling, maybe this tape could help with that too.

Best of luck with it!

yes siree. can you believe so called professional guys on here use roofing nails to try and fit beads to reskims?

Well I’m no expert but sounds like a good idea, I’ve never tried to fix beads up as a diyer but have tried nailing in to masonry and it’s never worked well for me. Same for trying to tack conduit in place for cabling, maybe this tape could help with that too.

Best of luck with it!
Like it
20190821_173416.jpg
20190821_173416.jpg

Plaster drying out nicely btw and no cracks this time. Finish not as nice as first time around but I’m not gonna push my luck with a third attempt, I reckon it’ll do.

Gotta ask, the tape, how do you say it proper, is it like Tay-pit, tap-it or tar-pit?

I reckon it’ll be more successful than my cartoon vanity covers for ugly dimmer switches (the missus says it stays for now...)

Thanks for the advice all.

Plaster drying out nicely btw and no cracks this time. Finish not as nice as first time around but I’m not gonna push my luck with a third attempt, I reckon it’ll do.

Gotta ask, the tape, how do you say it proper, is it like Tay-pit, tap-it or tar-pit?

I reckon it’ll be more successful than my cartoon vanity covers for ugly dimmer switches (the missus says it stays for now...)

its f**k it ha ha

Tap it.
But the tape is called Sbeadfix.