New Refina

Members online

Bagrat

Has anyone used the new s*p*r*lex 3 trowel can be used for second coat ? Just got one today
EB8945C7-9768-4482-B26C-00C3EBA63C2A.jpeg

I spent a power over the last couple years buying this an buying that.. from plastic to super flex, an after months of changing techniques to breaking this new trowel, that new trowel. After deliberating if that was a better finish then the nela, rifina, mt, my head was just scrabbled. All I have now is my carbon mt from start to finish an I’m happy as Larry. Keeping my money from buying these latest tools that aren’t needed. Just my experience :descansando:

I spent a power over the last couple years buying this an buying that.. from plastic to super flex, an after months of changing techniques to breaking this new trowel, that new trowel. After deliberating if that was a better finish then the nela, rifina, mt, my head was just scrabbled. All I have now is my carbon mt from start to finish an I’m happy as Larry. Keeping my money from buying these latest tools that aren’t needed. Just my experience :descansando:

I'm heading this wAy too.

Totally agree with you there medi nela Refina I’ve had the lot and dare I say tried the old sponge but this new Refina wow ! Feels better than the rest I layed on with mt 2 coats then completed flat left 20 mins then 2 trowels with slight mist of water one final cross trowel done. Was only in a walk in wardrobe so will crack on a few ceilings this week looks and feels a better trowel than previous mentioned .

Totally agree with you there medi nela Refina I’ve had the lot and dare I say tried the old sponge but this new Refina wow ! Feels better than the rest I layed on with mt 2 coats then completed flat left 20 mins then 2 trowels with slight mist of water one final cross trowel done. Was only in a walk in wardrobe so will crack on a few ceilings this week looks and feels a better trowel than previous mentioned .

I went through stage using mediflex start to finish for months its sharp as f**k now. Works good but is something about a Marshalltown cant explain

I went through stage using mediflex start to finish for months its sharp as f**k now. Works good but is something about a Marshalltown cant explain
I’ve been using a carbon Marshall for the past year but this new trowel is really sharp .

I’ve been using a carbon Marshall for the past year but this new trowel is really sharp .

I got 2 mtowns 14" one very sharp the other just nice. Got worn in nela and medi which i might sell on here. Also got
Plastic trowels getting fuxking ridiculous

Is it same blade stiffness as medi or different?

Its a slightly stiffer than medi which probably explains than when trowelling up it feels better ! But I don’t think you should lay on with it just use for trowelling.

Do you not use a bucket trowel then Andy g ?
The lest tools for plastering the better. i have one trowel and bucket trowel thing is washing tools off all the time dos my f**k**g head in . Hate washing my buckets out

I find spending money on a therapist asking why I need so many trowels these days helps. He's happy to take my money same as the tool manufacturers. I am a bit of a luddite but for f**ks sake!!

what do you like about it
1job satisfaction 2 the challenge 3 every job is slightly different than the last 4 meeting people 5getting paid 6 pissing electricians off painters joiners etc 7 general plastering duties .8 being self employed 9 buying new tools 10 this forum in all fairness Andy I like it but there is probably a list of 50 plus pitfalls of the job !worked all weekend waiting for payment I hate this game at times .

Whilst I do agree overkill on the trowels I’ve whittled it down to 4 or 5 from about 12 sad I know .

I've got a Nela sf 14, 18 and 14 refina sf the refina sf 3, half a dozen laying on trowels in different sizes 11-18 a speed skim 1200, sponge floats and plastic trowels and although I don't use them all every set and I could manage without most of them it makes my life so much easier, allows me to stay interested and try new techniques and means I'm prepared for any situation and can chose the trowel I know will preform best for the background, material and environment because let's face it most jobs are different.
I agree it's a royal pain in the arse having so much gear but it makes me faster and able to tackle larger areas without having to panic.
If you can manage with a mt start to finish then good for you but why make the job harder than it needs to be?
Also I've seen a lot of old trowels turning out very average work using only MT (and some guys turning our awful work using only sf trowels I might add)
Personally I like to walk away from a job thinking I've left an exceptional finish for someone to eye up, people notice the difference between a nice uniform wall and greasy teard up nasty looking work even if it paints up the same some times.
I don't always get it right when trying out new techniques but it always looks better then work that's been laid on and finished with a steel trowel I reckon?!

You need 1 trowel end off
I've got a Nela sf 14, 18 and 14 refina sf the refina sf 3, half a dozen laying on trowels in different sizes 11-18 a speed skim 1200, sponge floats and plastic trowels and although I don't use them all every set and I could manage without most of them it makes my life so much easier, allows me to stay interested and try new techniques and means I'm prepared for any situation and can chose the trowel I know will preform best for the background, material and environment because let's face it most jobs are different.
I agree it's a royal pain in the arse having so much gear but it makes me faster and able to tackle larger areas without having to panic.
If you can manage with a mt start to finish then good for you but why make the job harder than it needs to be?
Also I've seen a lot of old trowels turning out very average work using only MT (and some guys turning our awful work using only sf trowels I might add)
Personally I like to walk away from a job thinking I've left an exceptional finish for someone to eye up, people notice the difference between a nice uniform wall and greasy teard up nasty looking work even if it paints up the same some times.
I don't always get it right when trying out new techniques but it always looks better then work that's been laid on and finished with a steel trowel I reckon?!

I usually have the same trowels marshalltown, plaziflec. s*p*r*lex and Nela but have 2 of both swap them round all the time if one breaks the other one takes its place and it's broken in

I genuinely believe the gears changing to suit all these new trowels.

You can near enough finish the gear while it wet with some plastic trowels. Where it would still be too soon to flatten with a stainless.

I enjoy using my mt start to finish but it only seems possible on small areas kitchens etc.

Id be interested to see someone do a big gauge with just one stainless trowel now

I genuinely believe the gears changing to suit all these new trowels.

You can near enough finish the gear while it wet with some plastic trowels. Where it would still be too soon to flatten with a stainless.

I enjoy using my mt start to finish but it only seems possible on small areas kitchens etc.

Id be interested to see someone do a big gauge with just one stainless trowel now

Yeah I can say categorically I can do bigger sets 3/4 bag ceilings by my self no sweat now and split sets without panicking, lay it flat and if it pulls in fast sponge it.
Plastics can finish skim off nicely while it's still fairly and finish it nicely too. I still like to close in with a super flex for the final hit personally but have finished work with plazi and it looks pucka!

Yeah I can say categorically I can do bigger sets 3/4 bag ceilings by my self no sweat now and split sets without panicking, lay it flat and if it pulls in fast sponge it.
Plastics can finish skim off nicely while it's still fairly and finish it nicely too. I still like to close in with a super flex for the final hit personally but have finished work with plazi and it looks pucka!
3 quarter bag ceilings eh. Big stuff :LOL: