New Trowel Advice

trb08150

Morning Guys,

Looking for some advice/recommendations on purchasing a new trowel. I'm fairly new to plastering as a DIYer but it's coming along ok thanks to all the tips and advice picked up from the forum

I'm currently using a cheapo Screwfix 11" trowel but am looking for something a bit better as I'm getting more confident and now have a few larger tasks to tackle in the near future. Marshalltown stuff seems to be popular in the trade and I was thinking of something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marshallto...r=8-1&keywords=marshalltown+plasterers+trowel

Would probably opt for the 13" as I think a 14" may be to much of a step up and could be problematic for a DIYer.

Also does having a good trowel make a massive difference to the finish? My cheapo one has done ok so far but not sure if this has forced me to learn the hard way or not..

Thanks for all your advice lads

Morning Guys,

Looking for some advice/recommendations on purchasing a new trowel. I'm fairly new to plastering as a DIYer but it's coming along ok thanks to all the tips and advice picked up from the forum

I'm currently using a cheapo Screwfix 11" trowel but am looking for something a bit better as I'm getting more confident and now have a few larger tasks to tackle in the near future. Marshalltown stuff seems to be popular in the trade and I was thinking of something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marshallto...r=8-1&keywords=marshalltown+plasterers+trowel

Would probably opt for the 13" as I think a 14" may be to much of a step up and could be problematic for a DIYer.

Also does having a good trowel make a massive difference to the finish? My cheapo one has done ok so far but not sure if this has forced me to learn the hard way or not..

Thanks for all your advice lads
Yes the quality of trowel makes a difference and that’s a good choice your going for.I prefer MT xtralite carbon myself.

The Tyzack pre worn “ready to go “ would be ideal for you. There good for skimming brand new out of the box. Range of sizes from toolstation and screwfix. Certainly don’t go above 13 in size is my recommendation.

There's a reason why Tyzack are cheaper........ s**t build quality.........not even close to the Marshy.
For trade use your probably correct, but this guy isn’t hammering it every day. I thought it was worth a mention for the price and you can skim right away with it. I use nela, Refina and marshalltown trowels myself. I had a tyzack few years back and it was good for skimming right away!

Thanks for all the input guys. I don't mind paying the money for a Marshalltown - I believe in buying the best tools you can afford and if I'm not using it everyday then it should last me a good while.

Probably best sticking at 13" though I think, I think anything bigger would be a bit difficult to handle and the work that I'm doing doesn't require a massive trowel

My instructor recommended Ox pre-worn, seems to be ok (not that I know much!). Bit cheaper than marshalltown and the online reviews seem good