New trowel question

John j

Mono Don
Got a MT EXTRA light carbon. Mint trowel . Goes up and down wall mint to say it' not broken in .Problem is when I flatten it give the orange peel effect . IS this cause its still not broken in fully. Never had this with other trowels . Though only had 2 from new

Im using olicans mt extra lite vintage version im really enjoying using it thinkin im converted.
Not having those problems though.

Tried it other day but didn' work . I blame the sugar free 35 p coke I used lol. @Olican breaks his in with oil stone first I think.
Personally prefer a decent whetstone over oilstone after following beddys technique. Warm coke and vinegar should black up a trowel ok. Not had a problem

Personally prefer a decent whetstone over oilstone after following beddys technique. Warm coke and vinegar should black up a trowel ok. Not had a problem
Prob what I meant . ..I.ll give it aother go this week end. Builders doing some floors so gonna let him use it on them as well. Hoping it just wants a bit of hammer

Prob what I meant . ..I.ll give it aother go this week end. Builders doing some floors so gonna let him use it on them as well. Hoping it just wants a bit of hammer
Ask @Pagey if you can borrow his belt sander, I'd imagine that they'd be great to give a trowel a bit of a touch up. Nothing will ever beat a few acres of S&C for a new trowel though.

Ask @Pagey if you can borrow his belt sander, I'd imagine that they'd be great to give a trowel a bit of a touch up. Nothing will ever beat a few acres of S&C for a new trowel though.
It' just puzzling me . I.ll try to get some pics sunday but don' think I.ll be able to

Its fine . Gets plaster really flat with no lines . Really surprised me compared to nella carbon which left a few lines at first. Just leaves the orange peel effect.
If it’s brand new will still need a bit of wearing in mate , compared to the nela carbon my mt has a slightly bit more flex in the blade compared to nela carbon but both would tear gear if brand new

You should patent it and advertise it for extortionate prices
Once got asked for a rough finish ( came to right guy) .it was a feature wall . So instead of polishing it we rubbed it with car sponges. Customer was over moon.
To me it would of been mint to paint and just look like a normal wall when it was painted bit we were long gone before then .
Would have been funny called back cause wall wasn't rough enough when painted

If it’s brand new will still need a bit of wearing in mate , compared to the nela carbon my mt has a slightly bit more flex in the blade compared to nela carbon but both would tear gear if brand new
My nella never .Just had a habit of sticking to wall on change of direction lol. Love that slight bit more flex in blade on xtra lites

Tbh i cant remember any new trowel leaving that sort of effect you mention , dare i say that you were using multi by any chance ?
No board . .it does seem to be slightly getting better. So hope it will sort its sen

its still a great trowel , the only one ive ever really used , stick with it , and it will serve you well , i have dabbled with others , but now i just wonder if the plaster has made me try others .

That was my first attempt still had another trowel to go had ago with board finish today too nice change.
Got to admit one of the nicest trowels ive used considering i havent broke it in the way it suits me.

Attachments

• 20180301_155454.jpg
    20180301_155454.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 224
Takes a while to properly break in,,,,it will come good,,,,,my apprentice did the other week as i said,,,,,,new one will be ordered this week.
Nela is different steel.hence different reaction.

This is it against nella. Is it just wanting more use

Attachments

• 20180305_085941.jpg
    20180305_085941.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 221