Newbie - lime wall stains

Charlie123

Hello. Am not a plasterer but slowly renovating 200 year old dump (AKA "home"). Slowly because we're living in it. The house isn't damp it's just tatty and had nothing done since about the 1950s. It's stone built, no damp courses and dry as a bone. The walls have the original lime plaster. In the living room I removed about 6 layers of wallpaper and the lime plaster underneath was sound so just filled the odd hole with casein breathable filler. Left it all to dry/air. Painted earthborn wall glaze onto it. Then Claypaint on top.

So the issue is - at some point there must have been damp near the top of the wall as the stains are showing through the paint. Normally I would use a stain blocker - but don't want to stop the wall being breathable if possible. Have read about dg27 primer - would that also work as an isolating primer - will need to just paint a primer over existing paint now.

I know earthborn have an isolating primer but used it before and didn't like it so looking for an alternative. Normally I'd use Zinsser - but that's not breathable.

Do you mean paper over it? That's a thought. Quite like the painted wall as it is so if there was a suitable stainblocker it would be good.

I guess if I just used Zinsser Bin on the stained patches, the rest of the wall would still be breathable - but would it then look patchy after emulsioning?

Dg27 is suppose to be a breathable bonding agent
So don't see it stoping a water stain tbh

You need something oil based to do that but you are then at odds with the breathability thing !

Hello. Am not a plasterer but slowly renovating 200 year old dump (AKA "home"). Slowly because we're living in it. The house isn't damp it's just tatty and had nothing done since about the 1950s. It's stone built, no damp courses and dry as a bone. The walls have the original lime plaster. In the living room I removed about 6 layers of wallpaper and the lime plaster underneath was sound so just filled the odd hole with casein breathable filler. Left it all to dry/air. Painted earthborn wall glaze onto it. Then Claypaint on top.

So the issue is - at some point there must have been damp near the top of the wall as the stains are showing through the paint. Normally I would use a stain blocker - but don't want to stop the wall being breathable if possible. Have read about dg27 primer - would that also work as an isolating primer - will need to just paint a primer over existing paint now.

I know earthborn have an isolating primer but used it before and didn't like it so looking for an alternative. Normally I'd use Zinsser - but that's not breathable.
try Zinsser grade 1 expesive but it works its white in colour but if u want to shade it must be mixed in with it before applieng speak to them about it

A bit of stain block ain’t gonna cause any issues, especially at the top of a wall. Just make sure there’s nothing outside that may have contributed to penetrating damp.

Cheers. I have some Zinsser 123 plus around (supposed to stain block as well as Zinsser Bin). Wrong colour as it's white but still have a couple of coats of paint to do on top. I think I'll go with the "most of the wall is breathable". Any damp dried out a long time ago - it was from previous leaking roof running down the wall. Been dried out for years. Haven't heard of Zinsser grade 1 - will check that out - tinting sounds good! Would save a coat of paint.

Cheers Jamesthefirst - I checked their website and other lime websites and got bamboozled with the various products. As it's just 2 or 3 small patches I'll bank on the rest of the wall breathing :)

Wow - just looked up Zinsser Grade 1 - sounds good - had not heard of it. Breathable and virtually odour free too! Sounds just the job - now just need to find the smallest size tin I can get!

Wow - just looked up Zinsser Grade 1 - sounds good - had not heard of it. Breathable and virtually odour free too! Sounds just the job - now just need to find the smallest size tin I can get!
cant tell u that but it works me and a decorater did a 5 story castle with it which was in somestate