Roly

Hi Just found the forum and joined up. I'm based in Lancashire aged 51 and not a plasterer as it,s too hard work! Worked in engineering 35 years but now p/t at Tesco. I have a specific issue that may or not be plaster related so don't want to get a tradesperson out for nowt. Is this the place to post? Regards Roly

Hi and thanks, The plaster in mt daughters room is seeping a brown sticky substance. I sanded back and painted over but has returned. Any ideas? Looks like runs but not leaking in from ceiling.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMAG2968.jpg
    IMAG2968.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 249
Welcome post up here , very interested to see what it is , ive worked for a few engineers in the past

:popcorn:

Hi, it is weird as looks like runs but doesnt run in from above. The marks are raised and tacky although a month ago sanded back and painted over. Can plaster weep if contaminated?. Behind the area is brick with cavity wall insulation and above standard pitched insulated loft. Puzzling me.
Daughters not splashed the wall but in past my Mrs has been using anti mould in the bedrooms. Could this stay in the plaster? Thanks

Hi, it is weird as looks like runs but doesnt run in from above. The marks are raised and tacky although a month ago sanded back and painted over. Can plaster weep if contaminated?. Behind the area is brick with cavity wall insulation and above standard pitched insulated loft. Puzzling me.
Daughters not splashed the wall but in past my Mrs has been using anti mould in the bedrooms. Could this stay in the plaster? Thanks
It looks like something could be seeping from above following the lines and looking at the ceiling line. Could be the liquid is just presenting itself more further down the wall. What is above? Have you had a crawl about in the loft space?

When I read brown and sticky I thought nicotine but not sure now looking at pics

Hi and thanks, The plaster in mt daughters room is seeping a brown sticky substance. I sanded back and painted over but has returned. Any ideas? Looks like runs but not leaking in from ceiling.

Cheers
Take it that’s an external wall?
I’m going to have a couple of guesses;
Overflowing header tank in loft and the overflow pipe is also leaking.
Overflowing or leaking gutter and a bad patch of pointing somewhere in that general area?
An extract fan from a bathroom leaking causing steam to condensate somewhere in the celing/cavity?
Dirty cavity and bad pointing?

Pics of outside of that wall may help

Adsy83 that is interesting as I suspected the paint but it’s on 2 walls. Will sand again and find a new paint. Will check the tin for any discolouration today. Cheers

TinyTom, it is an external wall will post pic later. Header tank and of pipe other end of loft, Bathroom mid house and nearest wall not affected. Going loft later and post outside pics?

Thanks all for ideas

TinyTom, it is an external wall will post pic later. Header tank and of pipe other end of loft, Bathroom mid house and nearest wall not affected. Going loft later and post outside pics?

Thanks all for ideas
Wouldn't rule out the tank wherever it's positioned as we all know waters sneaky!

https://www.dulux.com.au/applicator/technical-advice/application/surfactant-leaching

Looks like the damp washing on radiators and lack of circulation has caused my issue hence the radiator is on the leeching external wall and the internal wall same paint is ok. Will follow the Dulux remedy process but at least it’s cosmetic and not damage.

Thanks all for helping point me in the right direction. Regards Roly
The funny thing is I've been using a wallpaper steamer in an enclosed space today... Say this stuffs dripping from the ceiling. I had an eureka momentm;)