Nicotine/ cigarette stench

Members online

peterroberts

Not sure if anyone can give advice as never come up against this before,
went to a price job up yesterday, whilst there the lady asked me is there a way to get rid of the smell of smoke / cigarettes coming from the next door neighbours, not believing this was possible I went into living room to have an investigation, sure enough, when near the party wall in living room there is a strong smell of stale cigarettes , the people next door are heavy smokers according to the customer, even so seemed strange that the smell was coming through the wall.
House is concrete, no cavity between houses, customers house is a no smoking household.
Job I’m pricing up for is to provide soundproofing solutions as the neighbours allegedly cause quite a bit of noise.
Don’t really know if there is a solution to the smoking problem asked several different lads I know and no one seems to have an answer.
Suggestions with reasons for the suggested answers appreciated.

went to a price job up yesterday, whilst there the lady asked me is there a way to get rid of the smell of smoke / cigarettes coming from the next door neighbours, not believing this was possible I went into living room to have an investigation, sure enough, when near the party wall in living room there is a strong smell of stale cigarettes , the people next door are heavy smokers according to the customer, even so seemed strange that the smell was coming through the wall.
House is concrete, no cavity between houses, customers house is a no smoking household.
Job I’m pricing up for is to provide soundproofing solutions as the neighbours allegedly cause quite a bit of noise.
Don’t really know if there is a solution to the smoking problem asked several different lads I know and no one seems to have an answer.

I'd email/phone @British Gypsum technical line.

Did not think it could pass through concrete.... there has to be another way it is getting through..

Without thinking to much maybe building a false wall on that wall with a vapour barrier and Insulation.... but that could be opening up a whole different can of worms...

Should not come through sand cement take skertings off incase ther gaps ther take floor boards off gaps in the floor joist between next door them

3 coats tanking, 3 coats bitumen . For back up plan drill a small hole at the bottom of the wall and insert a hose connected to your gas canister. I heard LPG filters the cigarette fumes.

Check wall there may be a boarded over door way or smaller. Can't believe smoke can pass through concrete.

It’s not the smoke it’s the smell, I know I didn’t think this would be possible,
No floorboards solid floor, I think I’m going to remove skirting and see if there are any gaps, which I’m hoping there aren’t .
emailed BG see what they suggest, that is if they ever respond, cheers so far guys.
I did consider the walk away option

It’s not the smoke it’s the smell, I know I didn’t think this would be possible,
No floorboards solid floor, I think I’m going to remove skirting and see if there are any gaps, which I’m hoping there aren’t .
emailed BG see what they suggest, that is if they ever respond, cheers so far guys.
Walk away and tell them to buy plug in air fresheners lol

There is a crack or hole, has to be, for smell to come through and you did mention need for sound proofing.

Have you taken all socket faceplates off to check for voids behind?

Whats the wall made of that you have to plaster?

the op said it was concrete, i guess the wall is no fines.
the trouble with no fines after several homes have been poured the shuttering gets damaged and there was often holes appeared in the no fines.

No I was just queering it as he says the house is concrete and wondered if the wall was other.

The wall is precast reinforced concrete, nofines from what I can recall has loads of stone in it that you can usually get to fall out with a stiff brush once you get through the outer 5 mil anyway, this stuff is solid, not sure maybe some guys on here have worked in skelmersdale if so it’s the houses in digmoor area if that’s any use to anyone

The soundproofing issue is being caused as there’s no cavity between walls so sound travelling right through, considering pulling a few boards up upstairs see how joists are fitted into walls, maybe a gap through the houses, I’ve seen that before in these things.

Is it hand mix and you can see the different mixes from day to day? Would give an age to the house probably.

Also I am thinking the joists run through the wall with hand chiseled and/or oversize holes letting stench through?

For the sound you want Rockwool RW3 which is almost twice the price of normal insulation. I would say 100mm and acoustic plasterboard. Your customer will lose 6" of room space from this wall.

I have this problem. I can smell weed coming from next door. I’m moving so whatever. The rear of our house is concrete floor but the front living room where you can smell it is floorboards. The houses are all pretty much connected that way (terraces) and must be why we can smell it.

I know the landlord and have considered dropping him an email when we leave. On one hand I can’t be arsed and it’s none of my business. On the other hand he is a nice bloke and it’s a weird set up there. Family with two small children. They’re all friendly but people are always coming and going. We’ve wondered who actually lives there sometimes. Don’t want his house getting ruined

***** next door to me used to make my house smell of curry in a similar way. Wasn't a bad smell, but I did get tired of it.

The smoke is NOT coming through the wall. It's coming through any gaps...perhaps the joists run through or summat like that. You need to seal, though fcuk knows what with....plastering isn't going to fix it.

Thanks for the help, been back today, the joists are sat into what appears to be slots that are cut into the concrete, some seem to have been filled with what looks like cotton scrim coated in an oil like sticky substance, and there’s then three over the living room that have nothing in them, next issue is what the hell do I fill it with, was thinking of using mortar mix and forcing it into the gaps, the gaps are around 5 mill either side of joist but around 10 inches deep, which would indicate to me that they go right through to the neighbouring house

Thanks for the help, been back today, the joists are sat into what appears to be slots that are cut into the concrete, some seem to have been filled with what looks like cotton scrim coated in an oil like sticky substance, and there’s then three over the living room that have nothing in them, next issue is what the hell do I fill it with, was thinking of using mortar mix and forcing it into the gaps, the gaps are around 5 mill either side of joist but around 10 inches deep, which would indicate to me that they go right through to the neighbouring house

Intumescent expanding foam.

I agree. I would clear out the filled ones and fill those with foam as well. Then I would get 500gauge polythene (membrane) and line that wall and duck tape it to the joints over the foam filled gaps. Just cut a long strip 12" wide and slice it with a blade where the joists are and tape up. You can cut and tape the big wall piece to it when done.

Your Rockwool insulation will have to go up between the joists as well otherwise the noise will just travel from house to house there also. The complete wall will have to be covered from floor boards upstairs to concrete floor down in room below so you have complete sound absorption barrier. Any gaps and you defeat all the effort. Rockwool tight against the joists and floor. No gaps.

Rockwool RW3 comes in 1200mm slabs 50mm or 100mm thick and is easy to install and cut. No mess.

Normal Rockwool is 38kg per m2. ......... RW3 is 60kg m2. Huge difference and performance.

Stud out tight against Rockwool to hold in situ and slab with acoustic plasterboard.