Non paying customer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Am brand new to this site so would welcome any comments on the following - I recently boarded and skimmed a customer's ceiling and she was very happy with the end result - coupled with another ceiling , I charged her £400 and she thought that reasonable and paid half cheque , half cash.

However, on the ceiling that was boarded first, her husband had done the wiring for 9 spot lights - I offered to pull the wires through the new boards before skimming, but he insisted that he knew where they all were and that he would 'retrieve' them once the ceiling had been skimmed. Cut a long story short, one of the wires either got trapped or moved out of place when I did the boarding and he had to make another largish hole AFTER I'd finished to retrieve it.

Anyhow, he asked me to come back and rectify the mess he had made in the new ceiling - Because he had messed me around so much prior to me taking the job on, I accepted but stressed that I would charge a small fee for my time and effort - It would have been about an hours work

He hit the roof saying I was entirely at fault and has subsequently stopped the cheque for £200 refusing to honour it until I have rectified the mess HE has made !!

I can see both sides of the argument - maybe I should have offered to fix his mess free of charge, but do remember I offered to pull his wires through but he told me not to worry

Can he stop a cheque for £200 when the remedial works would only have amounted to about 40 quid ??

Any comments welcomed, and any names of Plastering / Building ombudsmen greatfully received

to be honest mate and for arguments sake just do the repair for free and get your 200 because for all you know you may of trapped the wire or moved it slightly so its not worth the hassle in the long run swallow your pride and get in done

the guy is totaly out of order, if i was u i would bite the bullet and do it free of charge. and forget about it. and next time u see the guy tell how much of a cock he is and tell him your gona smash his head right in. hope that helped

Thanks for the advice guys - was planning on going round on the pre-text of fixing it and then putting some serious holes in it that would cost £200 to put right

the times that crops up, always easier to cut the hole out first....

It really pisses you off but think on what if he tells every one and bad mouths you nows not the time for a bad rep mate ;)

and buy a punch bag, so when your really pissed off, you can punch the hell out of that, instead of that guys head ;D

to be honest mate and for arguments sake just do the repair for free and get your 200 because for all you know you may of trapped the wire or moved it slightly so its not worth the hassle in the long run swallow your pride and get in done

same as, sticks in you craw though don't it :mad:

fecking arsehole if he was so clever and new were the wire was,wouldnt he have been better taking a floorboard up above the cieling to sort it,some people

You know I think I'd do the repair for free.
I look at the long game.
Yeah he is a cock for not putting the holes in first and obviously not as good as he thinks but..
He now goes and tells ten of his mates your a bad workman (whether it's true or not)
They tell ten of theirs, they tell ten of theirs etc etc
before you know it your reputation is shot.
If you do the repair (an hour) and take the time to explain where he went wrong those 100 people get a recommended plasterer. (more work) and you get your £200. ;D
Just the way I look at it of course.

fecking arsehole if he was so clever and new were the wire was,wouldnt he have been better taking a floorboard up above the cieling to sort it,some people
lololol yeh never thought....tw't...still...could be 8x2's, takes a bit of experience to patch them it...still, bloke sounds like a nob anyway, one of those people that likes to 'delegate' and act like the 'gaffer' for the simple reason he's a f'ckin useless c'nt...
excuse the profanity... :D

id just do the job for free, tho if i was to accidentally spill rapid setting tile adhesive down his drains in the middle of the night a few months later then ofcourse that wouldn't be my fault :-X

Status
Not open for further replies.