Non-plasterer seeks render advice...

Members online

HRBurd

Hi - I'm a house owner who's about to start an extension and garage conversion and I'd love some expert advice please...
We live in a brick house, build in 1987. We don't want to try and match the existing brick in the renovated parts so are planning on rendering the house (or painting, if budgets won't stretch).

K Rend has been coming out v expensive. 2 contractors have suggested 2 other products: Weber and Johnstones Stormshield Render. I'm struggling to find reviews online. Are they any good?

And are all these stages/products necessary (brick is in very good condition btw):

Based on 135sq mtrs
Key Coat Primer (min depth 5mm) 25kg bags required quantity 46 - £603.75
High Performance Basecoat (min depth 10mm) 25kg bags required quantity 91 - £1194.37
Reinforcing mesh 1.1m x 50 m rolls required quantity 3 - £138.75
Silicone enhanced render primer 15ltr tub required quantity 2 - £91.25
Silicne enhanced render (min depth 1mm) required quantity 11 - £501.87
Beads 1.99

Looking at ways to reduce costs here but not if we end up applying the product incorrectly if we miss out any of the above.

Grateful for any help here, please

Hi - I'm a house owner who's about to start an extension and garage conversion and I'd love some expert advice please...
We live in a brick house, build in 1987. We don't want to try and match the existing brick in the renovated parts so are planning on rendering the house (or painting, if budgets won't stretch).

K Rend has been coming out v expensive. 2 contractors have suggested 2 other products: Weber and Johnstones Stormshield Render. I'm struggling to find reviews online. Are they any good?

And are all these stages/products necessary (brick is in very good condition btw):

Based on 135sq mtrs
High Performance Basecoat (min depth 10mm) 25kg bags required quantity 91 - £1194.37
Beads 1.99

Looking at ways to reduce costs here but not if we end up applying the product incorrectly if we miss out any of the above.

They probably are required with those manufacturers I’ll stick my neck on the line here and say two of them charge way to much for materials, me personally I’d go with the Johnson’s ocr and bomb off the silicone, get a painter in instead, all comes down to what finish you want though

They probably are required with those manufacturers I’ll stick my neck on the line here and say two of them charge way to much for materials, me personally I’d go with the Johnson’s ocr and bomb off the silicone, get a painter in instead, all comes down to what finish you want though
Thanks for this. Why bomb off the silicone? Is it not worth it?

Sand ,cement,lime ,,,,,, paint
Cheap as chips , ( actually , cheaper than chips )

Rub it up or get it dashed if cost is an issue. Imo sand cement renders piss all over new ones anyways for quality of finish. We have just finished rubbing up a big private house, looks top notch, well rubbed, Dried nice colour, hardly a wriggle when the sun shines along it, and now we have to put that silicon top coat shite over it. It's a sin to Bury good rubbing with that b*ll***s.

One coat sand cement lime , then Tyrolean if you want a cheap texture or cheapest as simon suggested get it dashed

Why are you looking to reduce costs ?

It’s sounds like you’ve had a few quotes for both monocouche and silicone.

Are you going to try and do this work yourself? Using the material list above?

Last edited:
Johnstones is good. You are going to get what you pay for but bear in mind this is expected to last decades.

Plain faced render finished in a modern silicone paint will good if the rendering is spot on. But after you have finished paying for a decent paint and painter a silicone rendered finish wouldn’t cost much more.

Based on 135sq mtrs
Beads 1.99

where are you ordering from