Oh No, What have I started! In a world of trouble.

Members online

PR3grl

Hi I'm a "DIY botcher" and a girl so please be kind! I exist on £62 a week Carers Allowance. As you'll see, I'm in a world of trouble...
IMAG2207.jpg

Old cottage, doing up my kitchen. Taken the units out, taken soggy plaster off outside wall and patches of plaster off internal wall. The photo here shows the trouble I'm in ! I've got cobble- held together with clay & straw, wooden lintel and bricks around windows with lime mortar, patches of "modern" stuff at the base of the outside wall that has old white tiles on- which will not budge, i suspect it's to reinforce the wall! The wall where the Consumer unit /electrics are is single brick party wall with lime mortar joints. I've hacked off some of the plaster that was crumbling - the rest is solid and well stuck on. There are copper pipes in the corner... I want to install new units again obviously.

I would be interested to know some thoughts on this from you pro's (besides demolishing the cottage and re-building). My funds are very limited, but I am handy at DIY

Suggestions on how to attack this project welcomed x...

You have your work cut out where abouts are you? Might be worth getting a professional out to have a look.

i would get my name on the council house list if i were you.
it will cost a decent amount of money to sort your kitchen out.

You need to address the damp problem first and will need a plasterer to advise on best course of action this is not a diy job unfortunately, start getting some quotes together.

Looks like a death trap.You definitely need professional help.(for the job).

Hi I'm a "DIY botcher" and a girl so please be kind! I exist on £62 a week Carers Allowance. As you'll see, I'm in a world of trouble...
View attachment 18862
Old cottage, doing up my kitchen. Taken the units out, taken soggy plaster off outside wall and patches of plaster off internal wall. The photo here shows the trouble I'm in ! I've got cobble- held together with clay & straw, wooden lintel and bricks around windows with lime mortar, patches of "modern" stuff at the base of the outside wall that has old white tiles on- which will not budge, i suspect it's to reinforce the wall! The wall where the Consumer unit /electrics are is single brick party wall with lime mortar joints. I've hacked off some of the plaster that was crumbling - the rest is solid and well stuck on. There are copper pipes in the corner... I want to install new units again obviously.

I would be interested to know some thoughts on this from you pro's (besides demolishing the cottage and re-building). My funds are very limited, but I am handy at DIY

As mr Flynn said you may need prof help ,were are you?

Thanks for replies but selling isn't an option. Council house- I'm single on my own so I wouldn't be a priority and I don't want to live in a council house. It has to be a DIY job. Professional help costs money that I just don't have; to reiterate, I live off £62 a week :cry:

I've got a sparky coming to look at the electrics this week to neaten things up...it's been checked and is perfectly safe albeit untidy. I have successfully re-pointed a "feature" cobble wall elsewhere in the house with 3.5 NHL which has dried beautifully and the damp smell gone. Given that houses of this type built pre 1840 were meant to "breathe" originally and have been wrecked over the years by the application of gypsum, I'm looking to do it as sympathetically as poss. The walls are dry once I've removed the cement plaster. I know there's been a condensation prob.

IMAG2205.jpg

I'm thinking...lime mortar the bricks/cobbles let it all go off then plaster the patches with lime? Could it work if I then line with a breathable membrane and batten/plasterboard over to eventually take wall tiles. Or dab & dot plasterboard over? or would this defeat the object of using breathable lime?

I was rather hoping some folk here would say...I need to do: 1. this...2. that...3 the other and give me some guidance on materials to use and approx cost. Malc what would you call a decent amount? Flynnyman I'm in PR3 *** :LOL:

Last edited:
Do you have the option to point all the cobblestones in the kitchen? Looks like you've made a fair job of that other wall. If so, go for it.
1 get all the crap off the other walls....
2 let it dry
3 find out how it got damp in the first place, and remedy it
4 use a lime plaster, not cheap, but worth it.
5 build it up steadily in thin coats
6 when it's flat and tidy, skim it with a lime putty

Without actually seeing it, that's how I'd proceed...

Do you have the option to point all the cobblestones in the kitchen? Looks like you've made a fair job of that other wall. If so, go for it.
1 get all the crap off the other walls....
2 let it dry
3 find out how it got damp in the first place, and remedy it
4 use a lime plaster, not cheap, but worth it.
5 build it up steadily in thin coats
6 when it's flat and tidy, skim it with a lime putty

Without actually seeing it, that's how I'd proceed...

Pfft. 3 coats of multi and the job's a good un.

Have a look at ty-mawr, did a cottage in this was impressed with its range. Like malc said it will be a pretty penny. To put a ball park on it though is tough off the one pic. If your going down the lime route you can put an grand or 2 on. Cheapest option would be to pick out the nice stone areas, replace the wood lintel with a new oak one or solid pitch pine oak stained/ stone perphaps. Knowing your on a shoestring budget is going to be tough for you to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 18862

Where is PR3***?

Thanks for replies but selling isn't an option. Council house- I'm single on my own so I wouldn't be a priority and I don't want to live in a council house. It has to be a DIY job. Professional help costs money that I just don't have; to reiterate, I live off £62 a week :cry:

I've got a sparky coming to look at the electrics this week to neaten things up...it's been checked and is perfectly safe albeit untidy. I have successfully re-pointed a "feature" cobble wall elsewhere in the house with 3.5 NHL which has dried beautifully and the damp smell gone. Given that houses of this type built pre 1840 were meant to "breathe" originally and have been wrecked over the years by the application of gypsum, I'm looking to do it as sympathetically as poss. The walls are dry once I've removed the cement plaster. I know there's been a condensation prob.

View attachment 18865

I'm thinking...lime mortar the bricks/cobbles let it all go off then plaster the patches with lime? Could it work if I then line with a breathable membrane and batten/plasterboard over to eventually take wall tiles. Or dab & dot plasterboard over? or would this defeat the object of using breathable lime?

I was rather hoping some folk here would say...I need to do: 1. this...2. that...3 the other and give me some guidance on materials to use and approx cost. Malc what would you call a decent amount? Flynnyman I'm in PR3 *** :LOL:
A decent amount might be what the sparky charges you

Narrows it down to about 50 mile radius though, more than likely ribchester/longridge side

View attachment 18865

It looks like you have done your home work already ,is pr3 Preston ? If money is a problem why are you tidying electrics up what are perfectly safe!!spend it on something you need to spend it on! And yes if you have got rid of all gypsum you should put it bk in some form of breathable plaster ie lime or even @Bauwer could assist you in this but it will cost you unfortunately @Dropsalot has covered everything you need to do .....you may have to go and get a job tho to pay for it!!

View attachment 18865

Are you anywhere highton manor?

Yep done a lot that way myself go fishing on my old stomping grounds quite often down the ribble

13c8bbd8515da47d9dbaf3093138a531.jpg

You'd of loved that house bopper, own fishing pitch. That's the holiday cottage going back to do another one soon. Osbaldeston it will be big money to rent I bet.

View attachment 18865

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006pnjk/contact

Have a look at ty-mawr
I get my lime from Conserve slightly cheaper incl delivery. Lime's a dream to work with I find.
Cheapest option would be to pick out the nice stone areas, replace the wood lintel with a new oak one or solid pitch pine oak stained/ stone perphaps.
The wooden lintel is actually a nice shape and in reasonable nick, I've actually coated it with Woodworm killer (although I can't see any flight holes) and a coat of Ronseal Wood Hardener to be sure lol.
A decent amount might be what the sparky charges you
He doesn't charge me
It looks like you have done your home work already ,is pr3 Preston ? If money is a problem why are you tidying electrics up what are perfectly safe!!
I think I just need to have more confidence in my ability! Electrics- because they're not chased nor in capping they were just dangling behind the units as in the picture.
Ewww. I went to Preston once. It's full of not-rights.
I live in Catterall.
Reyt F*****g sob story!!!
Are you a plasterer may I ask? With respect, if that's what you say to prospective customers then you must know what it's like to live off peanuts.

I get my lime from Conserve slightly cheaper incl delivery. Lime's a dream to work with I find.
The wooden lintel is actually a nice shape and in reasonable nick, I've actually coated it with Woodworm killer (although I can't see any flight holes) and a coat of Ronseal Wood Hardener to be sure lol.
He doesn't charge me
I think I just need to have more confidence in my ability! Electrics- because they're not chased nor in capping they were just dangling behind the units as in the picture.
I live in Catterall.
Are you a plasterer may I ask? With respect, if that's what you say to prospective customers then you must know what it's like to live off peanuts.

Yawwwnnn boring!!!

Dropsalot has given you the answers, as for the other comments I think you would be better off ignoring the condescending ones, it seems as if you already have an understanding of the way lime works and have the right idea about letting the walls breath, just take your time and get it right.

Good luck and post some pictures as you get things moving along. There are people on here who will be more than willing to give advice as you go,

Thanks @peterroberts, will do...gone through 75kg of NHL already, just cracking on. Was thinking about sticking Vitcas or similar on the party wall behind fuse box ?? given that next doors electrics are 4" away. Have removed all the old stuff & browning off the wall, re-pointed with lime but not sure about the wisdom of sticking board over it?
With regard to condescending commenters, I used to be an inspector with HMRC :cachetada: