Old member returning with a controversial question

Members online

Salty

Hows it going you lot, i was a newbie to this forums and plastering in 2012 when i last posted here! To even say that seems like the last 7 years has just vanished, anyway simce 2012 i went on my own house bashing and stopped working on sites and i just stopped posting, tired/kids drink or whatever excise there was at the time.

Anyway glad to be back and getting into it again, ive got a question to ask though and its a controversial one so dont hate me i know theres "loads of info blah blah" i need to know if its relevant now?

So ive only been plastering 10 years out my time (3 years apprenty) and only used ss trowel for everything skimming wise. I lay on with a 13 inch mt and wet trowel and polish, am i behind the times?

A mate of mine who is still on site says alot of lads are laying on with steel flatting with a speed skim plastic second coating with steal and flattening in again but then with a plastic speed skim? Troweling off with a plastic trowel polish with a s*p*r*lex? He even said some lads are using a sponge after the second coat flatten!?

So can i ask a question, i just house bash now and out the click to see the finish of other lads, but why would you use all of these different trowells to do what an ss can do? And also.....why woul you f**k**g sponge your work after a 2nd coat flattening? Wouldnt that just undo all of your hard work or am i missing something? AND good to be back lads.

If you want to just use ss people's trowels don't break in like they used to I was always taught to use one trowel and that was broken in on sand and cement then transferred to skimming when ready blades were sharper than a razor blade! Almost as thin as a flexy anyway lol.

Before the era of preworn which are bullshit anyway as there never ready when shop bought as long as I have a hole in my ass!!

Hows it going you lot, i was a newbie to this forums and plastering in 2012 when i last posted here! To even say that seems like the last 7 years has just vanished, anyway simce 2012 i went on my own house bashing and stopped working on sites and i just stopped posting, tired/kids drink or whatever excise there was at the time.

Anyway glad to be back and getting into it again, ive got a question to ask though and its a controversial one so dont hate me i know theres "loads of info blah blah" i need to know if its relevant now?

So ive only been plastering 10 years out my time (3 years apprenty) and only used ss trowel for everything skimming wise. I lay on with a 13 inch mt and wet trowel and polish, am i behind the times?

A mate of mine who is still on site says alot of lads are laying on with steel flatting with a speed skim plastic second coating with steal and flattening in again but then with a plastic speed skim? Troweling off with a plastic trowel polish with a s*p*r*lex? He even said some lads are using a sponge after the second coat flatten!?

So can i ask a question, i just house bash now and out the click to see the finish of other lads, but why would you use all of these different trowells to do what an ss can do? And also.....why woul you f**k**g sponge your work after a 2nd coat flattening? Wouldnt that just undo all of your hard work or am i missing something? AND good to be back lads.

Don't change a thing!

It's all unneeded bollox!

Piss & wind!

I agree I've been messing around with these different methods last couple of years now I don't know wot I'm doing. It will mess u up .:tonto:

SS start to finish ,no water ,tacky PVA, stick beads in first coat, radio required

Ill be honest i am interested in getting a speed skim as they look like they make first and second flattens on ceiling a helluva lot easier, however i did get with the times recently and got some stilts and love them! But yea im honestly baffled and ill admit i dont understand sponging to me it looks like youre wrecking all your hard work for in my opinion the same finish? It looks like it adds time to the set which surely unless a dire emergancy you dont want?

Speedskim is an amazing bit of kit.. gets things so much flatter.. even if you just flatten once or twice with it (both directions) then crack on with SS..

I only use SS and speedy, tried a plaziflex and f**k*d up loads of jobs so don't risk it any more!

Welcome back @Salty a speedskim in my opinion is one of the most useful tools I use...

Worth every penny and the 1200 is the only size I use... anything else you may as well use a trowel
Yea think im gunna have a try of the 1.2 however a few lads on here been reccommending them 900mm refina spats are they any good?

Don’t listen to the god here. The gangs earning doe on site all use speedskim.

Pissy mix. Throw on tight. Lay in same mix. Speedskim to flatten. N again. Finished with plastic or flexible trowel. 1.5 / 2 hour gauges x 3 a day.

Steel all way through is nice if just putting a bag or 2 on.

Ill be honest i am interested in getting a speed skim as they look like they make first and second flattens on ceiling a helluva lot easier, however i did get with the times recently and got some stilts and love them! But yea im honestly baffled and ill admit i dont understand

Pissy mix. Throw on tight. Lay in same mix. Speedskim to flatten. N again. Finished with plastic or flexible trowel. 1.5 / 2 hour gauges x 3 a day.

Don't disagree about using speedskim , have got a couple and on peace rate do use them but I lay on with 18" SS and flatten as I go , people who lay a rough coat on and flatten with speedskim are just smoothing bumps , its too flexible , depends if it's a house or a home , I have no doubt those who use them all the time are happy with their results

Do you not use that nelamax any more?

Just get one 900 is a good size to start off with I don’t use mine much but I comes out on big curved ceilings.

Tbf 90% of lads earning good money skimming boards on site are 1 coating!

Speedskims are rubbish for 1 coating, spats are better, 18" trowel is better again!

Do you not use that nelamax any more?

Yes mate.
A73466D6-0539-437F-A113-0E58D9BD2F92.jpeg

Yea how they getting a good finish off of one coat? Are they finishing with a plastic trowel? My mate says it doesnt bring moisture to the surface but it sounds like a load of tinfoil hat stuff to me. Ill be honest again though ita because ive never personally seen anyone sponge up and finish with plastic to know how its done correctly or my mind might be changed

By the way when i finish off i dont use much water, i just wet my trowel because i had a bit bother with striping when i was an apprentice and my boss said it was to do with adding water when wet troweling he taught me to just wet the trowel hence the name....and ive stuck to it since

Keep trying the Speedskim just cannot get the hang of it keep pulling to much off or try filling in with but very well ....keep going back to plaziflex

Ill be honest i am interested in getting a speed skim as they look like they make first and second flattens on ceiling a helluva lot easier, however i did get with the times recently and got some stilts and love them! But yea im honestly baffled and ill admit i dont understand sponging to me it looks like youre wrecking all your hard work for in my opinion the same finish? It looks like it adds time to the set which surely unless a dire emergancy you dont want?
I got a speed skim for sale

Honestly people are right to think brands are just taking advantage of a niche in the market but alot of these tools do a have a time and a place but they are not a magic wand.
I would recommend

Speedskim 900 steel
Very nice for first coat of skim flattening and good for closing in hardwall after ruling if you're skimming on it later.

Ox Ultraflex or Nelaflex MK 1
Good for taking strain of wrist on the last flick and can be used for the wet trowel if catch it right.