Old Pebbledash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greig

Hello everyone,

I've got a small extension that needs rendering, covered in pebbledash right to ground level.

Could i chip off the pebbledash and render over that to the ground or what issues would i have with damp? it's been like that for a good number of years and there's no sign of damp inside. The internal floor height is quite high compared to outside ground

Also, the old window was right beside the boiler so window's been replaced so it's at least 300mm away and been blocked up.

Can i scratch coat the blocks to bridge the depth gap of the wall then scratch coat the whole thing then top coat?

The garage is exactly the same with pebbledash right to the ground

Thanks very much in advance for any help

Greig

When you say chip off the old do you mean back to brick or scratch coat? If back to brick damp down the old bricks. If its over the old scratch coat then use sbr bonding agent.

Fill out where you have bricked up the boiler. Fit a drip / bell bead to the damp proof course. You will only get in trouble with the buyers surveyor if the property gets sold otherwise. You can render up to the bell bead as well but make sure you have a bead at the dpc.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll strip back to old scratch and SBR.

I can't see where the DPC is but if I fit the bell bead about 175mm above floor should that be safe enough?

Thanks again, much appreciated

Greig

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll strip back to old scratch and SBR.

I can't see where the DPC is but if I fit the bell bead about 175mm above floor should that be safe enough?

Thanks again, much appreciated

Greig

Don't guess find out where the DPC is.

usually on top of an air grate. if you chip back to brick in the dpc area look for what looks like molten tar on top of the bricks about 1mm thick at most. A thin black line.

Are there any chemical dpc holes? A line of 10mm holes?

No chemical DPC holes but ill chip back to the brick in the area to find exactly where it is.

thanks again very much for taking the time to reply

Status
Not open for further replies.