Old very uneven walls

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonB2013

Hello,

So for background, this is an English terrace house, built around 1900.
I'm currently looking at a chimney breast, and it's more than a little uneven, it bellys out and depresses in by 3/4 inch either way.
Just to clarify, it's not just the existing plaster causing the uneveness, but the brickwork itself.

TBH, I'm not really seeking an absolutely flat wall, undulations are even welcome as I feel they add character.
However, the wall if full of dents, holes, botched patches, and I really would like to 'smooth it all over'.

Is it possible to plaster 'with undulations' ? (for a beginner).
What best material to fill the depresions with ?
Is it common to simply feather out belly's gradually rather then hamer and chisel ?

Any advice welcome :)

You could patch up the hollows etc with bonding and skim the whole chimney breast. But you might struggle to get new corner beads to fit if the chimney breast is in too bad a state. Or you could just reboard the whole thing

Pva, then apply a coat of plaster with a few handfuls of bonding, don't use beads ,this will give it some character,skim ove with multi once the first coat stiffens, use a light plastic bag to round corners down.

Pva, then apply a coat of plaster with a few handfuls of bonding, don't use beads ,this will give it some character,skim ove with multi once the first coat stiffens, use a light plastic bag to round corners down.

Tesco bag for that rustic average look but Waitrose bag for quality!:)

Thanks all ...
I've heard lightly scoring the wall (as well as PVA) is a good idea - it's a painted wall.
Any truth in that? or will it cause problems showing through later ?

jamesthefirst << nice one ;)

To keep the character I would just fill the holes etc the repaint,the wobbly lines are the beauty in the character of these type of houses.

You could just spread some filler over the dents and paint (or paper) might not sound pro fessional but depends on how much effort you want to put in

Status
Not open for further replies.