Overboard Lath & Plaster Ceiling / Skim or Pull down?

Members online

SykesIT

I have an old house from 1880. No coving etc just plain ceiling and walls.

I have wallpaper on ceiling but was going to overboard rather than take all wallpaper off as assume there will be cracks in roof.

There are some spongy spots with no cracking so these would need to be repaired.

We are going to possibly rent so don't want it to have issues.

However plasterer recommends against it. With PB + lathe + the original plaster he is saying 60mm screws only go in a little to hold all that weight plus skim.

Now he is not selling anything he suggests strip roof of wallpaper see if ok if not then take down and will lend me scaffolding etc if I want to do.

My question is has anyone ever had issues with overboarding?

Attachments

• 20190715_204516[1].jpg
    20190715_204516[1].jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 859
  • 20190715_204520[1].jpg
    20190715_204520[1].jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 427
This is my issue some plasters say yes remove and some say don't bother.

The ones saying take down usually say weight on joists but these are first floor ceiling / second floor joists so are strong and can hold a few extra boards spread over a 5m expanse. They also say may not hit joists which kf you know what you are doing shouldn't happen.

As a diy home owner who do you believe.

no, and no issues with getting longer screws.

This is my issue some plasters say yes remove and some say don't bother.

The ones saying take down usually say weight on joists but these are first floor ceiling / second floor joists so are strong and can hold a few extra boards spread over a 5m expanse. They also say may not hit joists which kf you know what you are doing shouldn't happen.

As a diy home owner who do you believe.
Overboard, done 100s and no issues. If 60mm screws only go in a little bit use 65 or 75. The mess and dust will be incredible for absolutely no gain other than making his job boarding the ceiling slightly easier. If the house can't take an extra 200kgs or so per ceiling then it needs knocking down lol. As far as may not hit the joist, you just need to ping a chalk line across

Strange looking wallpaper on your ceilings.
Go for ripping down first floor , and soundproof with rockwool , top floor is more stable as no foot traffic so possible straight overskim

Over board will best option . knock a hole where you find a joist and measure how thick the original plaster is and you can see how long your screws need to be to fix boards .

Overboard, done 100s and no issues. If 60mm screws only go in a little bit use 65 or 75. The mess and dust will be incredible for absolutely no gain other than making his job boarding the ceiling slightly easier. If the house can't take an extra 200kgs or so per ceiling then it needs knocking down lol. As far as may not hit the joist, you just need to ping a chalk line across

Nice to hear a plasterer say they have done it with no issues. I agree if my first floor ceiling joist can't take this extra weight we are in worst trouble than plaster.

overboard all ceilings. an 1880 built property will have all plaster covered in distemper. reskim will fail.

What is distemper?

It is lath & plaster (Black Lime we call it) but does have a grey layer on top which I assumed was a lime skim.

I’ve overboard all the time , never had any comebacks in 37 years, as long as it’s screws into the joists bout every 200mm , no problem whatsoever!!

I know and if the plasterer hadn't mentioned ripping down I would have no other thoughts.

Ripping down is UNBELIEVABLY dirty - also, in all likelihood, he'll have to counterbatten the joists because they won't be straight.

The only time I've ever done it is on an old ceiling when it really couldn't go half an inch lower.

I'd f**k him off. Either he's wanting extra work or he's a muppet and you'll be back starting a thread that says 'is this alright?'

Phone f
I have an old house from 1880. No coving etc just plain ceiling and walls.

I have wallpaper on ceiling but was going to overboard rather than take all wallpaper off as assume there will be cracks in roof.

There are some spongy spots with no cracking so these would need to be repaired.

We are going to possibly rent so don't want it to have issues.

However plasterer recommends against it. With PB + lathe + the original plaster he is saying 60mm screws only go in a little to hold all that weight plus skim.

Now he is not selling anything he suggests strip roof of wallpaper see if ok if not then take down and will lend me scaffolding etc if I want to do.

My question is has anyone ever had issues with overboarding?
Phone frend or 50/50.