overboard thick artex ceiling

Members online

Turkish

Hi all,

I need to plaster a dining room ceiling that currently has artex on. The peaks on the artex are between 10mm-20mm. I have taken a small sample and will be sending it for testing for asbestos. If by some miracle it comes back clear then it`s a scrape and overboard but if not I can`t think of an effective way to overboard it with the size of the peaks. That`s a hell of depth to put bonding onto a ceiling! I did think about expanding foam across the ceiling inbetween the peaks to take up the gaps and then board but would welcome any other ideas.

Cheers

Hi all,

I need to plaster a dining room ceiling that currently has artex on. The peaks on the artex are between 10mm-20mm. I have taken a small sample and will be sending it for testing for asbestos. If by some miracle it comes back clear then it`s a scrape and overboard but if not I can`t think of an effective way to overboard it with the size of the peaks. That`s a hell of depth to put bonding onto a ceiling! I did think about expanding foam across the ceiling inbetween the peaks to take up the gaps and then board but would welcome any other ideas.

Cheers
If the peaks truly are that deep and you can’t knock them off drop the ceiling and retack it but not having seen the ceiling it’s only a option

I`m pretty convinced it will have asbestos in it as it`s pretty old in which case it will mean getting someone in to remove the ceiling and I can then just stick a new one up but thought I`d just ask the question in case anyone came up with something I hadn`t thought of....thanks for the replies

Find joist. Pop some dry wall screws in with 20mm between screw heads and plasterboard. When boarding blob the back of boards and screw up. Get adhesive around edges though. You will need a board lifter @£25 per day to do this as boards will bow with adhesive. Don't tighten screws until adhesive has set though and add a few more. Skim.. I have done a few like this and you can use a straight edge to adjust screw heights to 20mm but if ceiling is fairly level you don't needed to. Did similar in pic however I let it find it own level and adjusted up with screws and gravity helped with the down ...used straight edge to confirm it was level.
3oHsc7m.jpg

Just F*****g overboard it with 12.5mm boards and stop being a fanny!!!

Simple job made hard springs to mind...and f**k all that scraping before overboarding!!!

Find joist. Pop some dry wall screws in with 20mm between screw heads and plasterboard. When boarding blob the back of boards and screw up. Get adhesive around edges though. You will need a board lifter @£25 per day to do this as boards will bow with adhesive. Don't tighten screws until adhesive has set though and add a few more. Skim.. I have done a few like this and you can use a straight edge to adjust screw heights to 20mm but if ceiling is fairly level you don't needed to. Did similar in pic however I let it find it own level and adjusted up with screws and gravity helped with the down ...used straight edge to confirm it was level.
3oHsc7m.jpg

Bad practice imo!!!

Bad practice imo!!!
Maybe.. Would pull down myself then fix timber along joist to level. The picture of the above had mix of metal beams and wood. I had to pack some around the wall plates to stop wood beams moving as folks walked about upstairs. Was the only solution I could come up with other than bomb the place. Customer didn't want it pulled down. Maybe the op should pull it down then? If asbestos you can't Baton spikes. You can't skim. Can't scrape. Can't pull down.. Can't over board as is.. Walk away then I guess

Maybe.. Would pull down myself then fix timber along joist to level. The picture of the above had mix of metal beams and wood. I had to pack some around the wall plates to stop wood beams moving as folks walked about upstairs. Was the only solution I could come up with other than bomb the place. Customer didn't want it pulled down. Maybe the op should pull it down then? If asbestos you can't Baton spikes. You can't skim. Can't scrape. Can't pull down.. Can't over board as is.. Walk away then I guess

So what do you think is going to happen over time with foot traffic?

Adhesive will eventually fail on the old ceiling surface in time!

I would rip it down and get it done...

Wont take a few hours to rip down and re board...

I also think the asbestos is soo minute that you could eat that ceiling and it wont uave sodall effect... but that is just me.

You have done the right thing to get it tested

I would rip it down and get it done...

Wont take a few hours to rip down and re board...

I also think the asbestos is soo minute that you could eat that ceiling and it wont uave sodall effect... but that is just me.

You have done the right thing to get it tested

Was on a job renovating an old house to be used by a charity when finished and that had artex ceilings that had been tested +ve for asbestos. Anyway, removal contractors came in and got chatting with them. Bloke said that there really isn't any risk due to the structure and type of asbestos used in artex. Apart from sheeting up and making the place look like a scene from ET, the blokes taking it down were very blasé about the job.
Who knows?!

3oHsc7m.jpg
That is a crazy amount of weight to being hanging up there.

Was on a job renovating an old house to be used by a charity when finished and that had artex ceilings that had been tested +ve for asbestos. Anyway, removal contractors came in and got chatting with them. Bloke said that there really isn't any risk due to the structure and type of asbestos used in artex. Apart from sheeting up and making the place look like a scene from ET, the blokes taking it down were very blasé about the job.
Who knows?!

Just to add, what I've said may come across as being a bit reckless...it was one guys take on it hence the 'who knows?' Comment.

Just to add, what I've said may come across as being a bit reckless...it was one guys take on it hence the 'who knows?' Comment.
Yes. Don't take any of this as the truth! I have heard over the years.... If the white asbestos is mixed with other products its not dangerous. The fibres are coated with other products. If tested it will often come back as inconclusive as they can't find the fibres. It's only in its pure form its dangerous when handled in factories. White is not the same as the brown or blue asbestos and considered less dangerous. No artex brands had asbestos in after 1990 ish. I have scraped 100s of ceilings with asbestos in the artex and handled 1000s of bags with asbestos in. Dose sometimes keep me awake at night. Bloody stuff.. Just play it safe and don't go digging at any of it. Especially youngsters coming into the game.. Just over board

Asbestos is the biggest con since damp proofing. I was cladding some walls in a school kitchen where they’d been aparabtley sampled for asbestos, where they drill the holes then stick plastic cladding strips on the wall with the G** stickers saying contains asbestos. Anyway I was cladding the wall which had about 7 4” strips of plastic running down it, there was no one around in half term so I ripped them off to get my panels on flat. The bastards hadn’t drilled a single hole, they never tested that wall full stop yet it was labelled up like a half price Lidl chicken, pure con men and scaremongerers iv got a new 17 year old apprentice and he’s petrified of asbestos he’s constantly asking me is that asbestos is this asbestos, it does my head in. Rant over lol

Who knows?!

I have to say unless you are eating it day in and day out... but we are not scientist so are only taking a punt at it... FOr many years I was completely unaware that there was asbestos in artex.

Most the houses down where we live are made of it as well... not a major concern for me to be honest. My bike will kell me before asbestos does :D

A roof on a garage I was using when I lived with my parents collapsed and the owner of the property got a quote to remove the asbestos roof and the price was stupid. He decided to dig a hole and bury it :D

A roof on a garage I was using when I lived with my parents collapsed and the owner of the property got a quote to remove the asbestos roof and the price was stupid. He decided to dig a hole and bury it :D

Standard farmers solution!

I did a job where I'd been quoted around £3K just for disposal (low grade cement stuff). When the time came, we took it out ourselves and the skip company only charged £600. Certainly helped the budget.

As Tinytom says, I think the dangers are overstated, especially for plasterers. Unless you are going to remove the Artex with a sander and no PPE, it's really minimal. Most the deaths from asbestosis type diseases are from people who worked with this stuff after the WW2, especially pipe lagging and the such.

Standard farmers solution!

I did a job where I'd been quoted around £3K just for disposal (low grade cement stuff). When the time came, we took it out ourselves and the skip company only charged £600. Certainly helped the budget.

As Tinytom says, I think the dangers are overstated, especially for plasterers. Unless you are going to remove the Artex with a sander and no PPE, it's really minimal. Most the deaths from asbestosis type diseases are from people who worked with this stuff after the WW2, especially pipe lagging and the such.

yup :D

agree with that 100%