Overboard uneven ceil

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggsy

Hi, new to plastering and would appreciate some tips.

I need to overboard a cracked (but solid) artexed ceiling and skim. There are potentially two problems:

• the ceiling is bowed in places (about 20mm difference in some places) - what is the easiest way to level this out with little experience?
  • some ornamental brickwork was put in after the ceiling went up and the last joist is behind the brick work - what is the best way to secure this end of the plasterboard?

Should I fix battens to the highest joists to try and level the ceiling? If so, could anyone give me some guidance please?

At the top of the brickwork there is about an inch and a half of mortar, should I chisel some of this out to create a ledge for the end of the plasterboard to rest in? Or is this bad practice?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

To remove the bows you could simply remove that damaged section leaving the board covering the two joists either side to overboard onto. Now ..... if youre unlucky the bows could be the joists themselves, solution to that depending on situation...

Sorry Andy, I'm not sure what you mean by 'leaving the board covering the two joists either side to overboard onto'. Also, if it is the joists that have moved what would be the solution for that?

Thanks

Hi Johniosaif, assuming the joists are all level that probably would be the easiest solution, but what if the joists weren't level? How would you sort that out?

Thanks

John is right pull the ceiling down you need to know exactly why the ceiling is bowing. you could overboard etc counter battern ect and the whole lot fall on your head next year just take it down !

If you want easiest and dirtiest johns way

If not just put some pressure on the bow and refix ceiling then overboard of theres still a bow then skim it out by filling out either side of the dip when laying scrims and skim as normal

When you need to know so much the only answer is to take it down and sort it from there, we would need pics to answer more at this stage or the info following the removal, its much easier to sort everything from this point

yeh pulling whole ceilings down can be a very messy job ESPECIALLY lathed ceilings. Plus you have the waste to dispose of. What i meant was Biggsy, normally bows in ceilings are water damaged boards that get soaked and bow between the joists which is where they are obviously fixed. You can break away the damaged board area between the joists which will remove the bow. If you remove the board covering the joists you would need to apply strips of new board to those exposed joists before overboarding. Hope that clarifies for you.

Theres always so many variations on pro s ideas of methods to be used. First and foremost is understanding by examination exactly what and why the situation is. I have in the past done as stated above only to discover the whole timber structure rotten through and had to replace the lot before i could start boarding.

If its plasterboard as you say it's not a big deal to pull it down (a lot less mess than lath and plaster) re-board and skimm. Any problems will soon be exposed and can be dealt with and you will have a proper job done. Remember you are only as good as your last job and as you are starting out you need to build a good reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.