Overhang

Vincey

Private Member
When talking about copings for garden or boundary walls how much over hang do people say is best for hopefully protection of mono, 2 inch ? Or more ? Have noticed myself that pointing on top or in between the copings seems be weak point for it cracking up over time then leaving no protection for the render , would butting them up as close as possible be best advice
Thanks
6A2723CD-85B8-4D76-9F02-6744D8E4784D.jpeg

A good bricky would have a dpc under the copings although they would need to be big and heavy to stay put.

There was a concrete furniture manufacturer here in Sheffield and they had moulds in stock of various sizes and had in stock heavy concrete copings with a good 40mm overhang with decent deep drips. I always applied a sbr cement slurry to the underside be it the cheap merchant ones or bespoke to get them well stuck down and the sbr coating acted as a dpc. Sbr’d the upsides of the joints too. Never had a comeback.

When talking about copings for garden or boundary walls how much over hang do people say is best for hopefully protection of mono, 2 inch ? Or more ? Have noticed myself that pointing on top or in between the copings seems be weak point for it cracking up over time then leaving no protection for the render , would butting them up as close as possible be best advice
Thanks
View attachment 44145
As much over hang as possible before it looks odd, and if using mono use a sealer like Paraguard it really does make a difference, we did a job in pelsall probably about 6 years ago now and sealed it and there’s not a mark or slight stain on it, when I do mono I insist that it’s sealed.
Oh and those curry trowels turned up yesterday there well made and I’m liking the Woden handles it got me feeling a bit nostalgic lol, ordered a new whetstone aswell so waiting for that now to take the edges down, get to give em a bash the week after next on some flats I’ve picked up

A good bricky would have a dpc under the copings although they would need to be big and heavy to stay put.

There was a concrete furniture manufacturer here in Sheffield and they had moulds in stock of various sizes and had in stock heavy concrete copings with a good 40mm overhang with decent deep drips. I always applied a sbr cement slurry to the underside be it the cheap merchant ones or bespoke to get them well stuck down and the sbr coating acted as a dpc. Sbr’d the upsides of the joints too. Never had a comeback.
I ant them also and even go as far as grinding scratch marks at the ends where they butt up to each other