Paint flaking off render - help needed

Members online

James Woodward

Dear plasterers - I could do with some help identifying the type of render used on my new house - unfortunately the builders went bust so I can not ask them. The paint which they have used (piolite and water based in some places) is now coming away in large patches on the side exposed to the weather. The render is about 12-15mm thick with no apparent layers so it looks like it was put on in one coat. I also don't know the best way to sort this out - whether to try to strip the paint (soda blasting?) and repaint with the correct paint or scratch the paint off and re-render? Your help would be hugely appreciated.

IMG_1576.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1574.JPG
    IMG_1574.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 325
Get a local recommended plasterer to look at it. Defo get the paint off though. Soda/ sand blast

Thanks Arti - I think you are right about getting the paint off. I am just really intrigued what render system was used - especially as neither Sandtex All Weather Piolite or Sandtex Masonry paint adheres. I'm wondering if it is monocouche or a silicate type of render?

Dear plasterers - I could do with some help identifying the type of render used on my new house - unfortunately the builders went bust so I can not ask them. The paint which they have used (piolite and water based in some places) is now coming away in large patches on the side exposed to the weather. The render is about 12-15mm thick with no apparent layers so it looks like it was put on in one coat. I also don't know the best way to sort this out - whether to try to strip the paint (soda blasting?) and repaint with the correct paint or scratch the paint off and re-render? Your help would be hugely appreciated.

View attachment 21874

View attachment 21875

If you are that curious to find out the material or even the mix ratio you can take a small section out (best way is a 10mm core drill, like taking core out of apple ) then send away for crush test analysis. This will tell you exactly to composite of material used, alternatively you can give yourself a warm fuzzy glow inside by donating to our forum fundraiser

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/plasterers4richardswish

Fair comment Olican. I could do with knowing what render has been used to get a paint that can actually stick to it without coming off in sheets. I'll look in the crush test.

Have a look at the back of a flaked piece of paint. If there's render on it then getting paint to adhere to it isn't the issue, it's the render itself.

Thank you Essex Andy - I have looked at the back of the paint flakes and the paint appears discoloured and has a sandy feel but not a layer of render - so still struggling to work out what has happened. With the cold weather, whole sheets are coming off which is quite disconcerting but probably saves on stripping!

Any thoughts or ideas would be really appreciated.

IMG_1632.JPG

Thank you Essex Andy - I have looked at the back of the paint flakes and the paint appears discoloured and has a sandy feel but not a layer of render - so still struggling to work out what has happened. With the cold weather, whole sheets are coming off which is quite disconcerting but probably saves on stripping!

Any thoughts or ideas would be really appreciated.

View attachment 22038
Is the rendering hard enough? It shouldn't be rock hard but not sandy either. Maybe the surface was just too sandy after being sponged up? It's a real job to say without seeing it.

Could just be water getting behind the paint, when it freezes it expands and pushes the paint off same as it does to render if it gets behind it