Painted breeze block pva?

Hello chaps,
Got some painted breeze block walls. Was gonna pva, hardwall and skim. Was wondering if i need to key the wall with something also and if bonding would be better? Thanks in advance. M

megamix

It will blow off . I would use blue grit then bond and skim or dab and skim .

zolco

Private Member
As megamix says, grit then bond and skim

If it gonna come off with pva it will with grit tooZ

Personally I’d try get the paint off. Or as much of it as possible

Mouldyoldspudgun

If they are breeze blocks just smack it up with a scutch to give it a mechanical key then pva, bond and skim

Mouldyoldspudgun

Mechanical key means fixing with screw and plug . Scratching the paint doesn’t mean mechanical.
Sorry physical key rather than gluing not sure you are right with that though, screwing and plugging is fixing not a mechanical key

megamix

Dab it then second fix it with nailable plugs (mechanical fixing ) to more or less guarantee it won’t fall off

Mouldyoldspudgun

Mechanical key means fixing with screw and plug . Scratching the paint doesn’t mean mechanical.
It’s not scratching the paint either, it’s knocking little chunks out of the block to give a key unless that’s all your arm can produce with a scutch

megamix

It’s not scratching the paint either, it’s knocking little chunks out of the block to give a key unless that’s all your arm can produce with a scutch
I fully concur with you on that one . I’m right about the mechanical fixing though ;););););););)

Mouldyoldspudgun

Dab it then second fix it with nailable plugs (mechanical fixing ) to more or less guarantee it won’t fall off
You are talking about a different system a mechanical key for two coat plaster is the scratch your sort of fixing is not second fixing I think you mean a secondary fixing

megamix

You are talking about a different system a mechanical key for two coat plaster is the scratch your sort of fixing is not second fixing I think you mean a secondary fixing
Yes i do . I misunderstood your first statement about mechanical key . I meant mechanical fixing not key . I apologise

Mouldyoldspudgun

Key
The roughness of a surface which enables plaster to make a mechanical bond with it
That is from the British gypsum site book

Mouldyoldspudgun

You can’t put unifinish on breeze block, well I suppose you could but rather you than me also British Gypsum says Unifinish CAN eliminate the use of PVA not does eliminate it just in case it falls off I guess. Happy new year Vincent

carlos

Private Member
Brush hammer or needle gun as there sometimes called.

Bottom line get the paint off

satan

If it is gloss paint you could try a wall paper steamer stripper.

Danny

Administrator
Hello chaps,
Got some painted breeze block walls. Was gonna pva, hardwall and skim. Was wondering if i need to key the wall with something also and if bonding would be better? Thanks in advance. M
Hardwall is for high suction backgrounds so that will be the wrong material.

I would be using a pregrit then bonding (wall will be low suction now) then skim

I would be using a pregrit then bonding (wall will be low suction now) then skim
spot on Danny.....first sensible comment on here.

Hardwall is also not recommended for use over pre-grits.

essexandy

The Lake Governor

Basic knowledge isn't it Danny?
This place does attract some doesn't it.

beader

Private Member
I would scratch coat of bonding then float with hard wall as i hate floating with bonding .

CeeVee

Wall is already low suction.
Just bond the f**k*r or dot and dab.

I cant believe there are so many different answers!