patch work on ceiling where waters leaked

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duncan

hi
i have a job patching up a flat smooth ceiling , where waters leaked through from upstairs and the plasters blown in a small line, about 500mm
do i just rub the flacky bits back and but a tight skim over it, or just use polly filler or smooth over stuff, and rub it down ,
any help would be great cheers

ok thanks, the plasterboard looks ok , just looks like the paint and plasters come away, like a crack, so do i need to cut out the plasterboard to. or can i get away with just clean back the flacky paint and old skim coat, then reskimming it , will it blend in ok, as she does ent want the whole ceiling reskimmed

sorry if i sound dumb lol im new to this

If you're new to plastering mate then it's gonna be hard to patch an area without it sticking out like a sore thumb. Better to talk customer into having the whole ceiling skimmed if it ain't the size of a football pitch  ;)

If you do end up patching it, make sure you feather (fade) the skim at least 10 - 12 inches beyond the skrim tape. Use a water brush to help blend it into existing plaster. You can always sand the edges once the plaster is dry and it's ready for painting.

Patching is a hard nut to crack when you're just starting out mate. I still try to talk 'em into having the whole ceiling skimmed where possible. Hope this helps.... :)

if you have had a water leak then you will need to cut out the board even if it looks ok because it will stain through the plaster, and yes i agree better to skim the whole ceiling to get a more proffesinal job.

cheers , yea its going to be a patch up job, shes not going for the hole ceiling , thanks for the advise i let u know how i get on

iv got a patch to do as well,water damage,hole in ceiling,same oldnever done patch work before ,but how hard can it be ;D only joking shall let know how i got on ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.