Patching ceiling

Members online

S a plastering

Private Member
Need to patch a big hole on ceiling normaly board then scrim onto exsisting but bothered about any build up rather just go inside the patch but then botherd about edges cracking is there a tool to try and cut edges back so i can get scrim on then feather in

Not sure about that but have you tried the extra thin scrim selco sell? I’ve used it on one and feathered it in lovely and no cracks yet and that was at my sisters 2 years ago

Need to patch a big hole on ceiling normaly board then scrim onto exsisting but bothered about any build up rather just go inside the patch but then botherd about edges cracking is there a tool to try and cut edges back so i can get scrim on then feather in
Hold Stanley knife with your thumb as a depth stop , score an inch or so width of existing plaster in crosses about 7.6238mm apart , should just rub off

Hold Stanley knife with your thumb as a depth stop , score an inch or so width of existing plaster in crosses about 7.6238mm apart , should just rub off
Full+metal+jacket+_b63b3916768208758c855c0c1f050d6e.jpg

If you can be bothered you could also try piece of wood with a layer of shiny tape (to not damage existing surface ) with screw point sticking out , like devil float

Cut out with Stanley knife or electric multi tool. Seal all the dry edges with the best sealer you have on existing and new edges. You need timber all the way around so all 4 sides have screws under the existing and new board edges to hold solid. Blob the edges with whatever you have to hand. Multi finish. Fast sets. Cove adhesive ect. I use easyfill 20 for speed. Push board in so edges oozed out material. You want new board set back 1mm - 2mm and hold in place with just a few screws. Sponge and trowel off material and when set hard add more screws all the way around new and old board edges. I cut fibre tape down middle 12mm wide and tape joints and skim with multi finish and get area level. Light sand around edge when dry and and paint. Can't tell it was ever patched. Done loads over the years. Get mixing up materials ever 30mins so you ain't waiting for settings even if you don't use every mix. Start to finish 3 hours tops for patch. Easy and good money.. Happy days.

Last edited:
Agree with above but I use fibre scrim embedded in bonding over joins then multi over. I spray the dry edges with plenty of water first so the bonding sticks better. Nela flexi to blend edges and when painted you can't tell its been patched. Circa 3 hrs

I do 2 or 3 of these nearly every day I just put board in so level scrim PVA then 2 thin coats over then blend back towards the hole not had any comebacks ......... Yet I use my 600 speedskim so I get the same mould of the ceiling as we all know not all ceilings are level lol

Attachments

• IMG_20190104_115958.jpg
    IMG_20190104_115958.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 226
  • IMG_20190104_112146.jpg
    IMG_20190104_112146.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 214