Patching Large Round Holes

Members online

Danieldiy

Hi, just a quickie.

I have some lovely large circular holes (c.20cm diameter) in my ceiling, left from a previous owner. I need to patch them. I was planning to make the holes square, patch with plasterboard and tape the joins. Then when the ceiling gets skimmed, job done.

Am I making work, or could I just plug the hole with circular plasterboard patches? I just thought with a square, taping the joins would be easier and give a better finish rather than just sticking in some plaster in the hole.

Hi, just a quickie.

I have some lovely large circular holes (c.20cm diameter) in my ceiling, left from a previous owner. I need to patch them. I was planning to make the holes square, patch with plasterboard and tape the joins. Then when the ceiling gets skimmed, job done.

Am I making work, or could I just plug the hole with circular plasterboard patches? I just thought with a square, taping the joins would be easier and give a better finish rather than just sticking in some plaster in the hole.
Makes absolutely no difference. I usually cut them square as it takes about 10 seconds and then it's much easier to cut a square piece of plasterboard as I don't have hole saws

Hi, just a quickie.

Could you please specify acceptable questions for the DIY section? Would not want to upset a cretin like yourself in the future.

Just let the plasterer do it. It's a simple job if you know how but if you don't, you'll probably get it wrong and he'll have to put it right before he starts, so nothing gained.

Yeah, because patching a hole is far beyond anyone but a plasterer who has done a 5 year apprenticeship and has 30 years experience. This part of the forum is for DIYers, not professionals. If you don't want to help, why post? Its akin to mechanics telling people not to change their brake pads.

Yeah, because patching a hole is far beyond anyone but a plasterer who has done a 5 year apprenticeship and has 30 years experience. This part of the forum is for DIYers, not professionals. If you don't want to help, why post? Its akin to mechanics telling people not to change their brake pads.

You can't patch 200mm holes in a circular fashion because your joists are >200mm. They are or should be 400mm/16" centres so you don't have anything to fix them into - unless you just plan to screw them into the middle?

There's zero saving doing it yourself or having a go because your plasterer will patch it up before he starts for nothing, so leave him to it and have it done right first time.

And no, I wouldn't change my own brake pads. That's what mechanics are for and they might fall off if I did it.

Same as your circles probably will.

You can't patch 200mm holes in a circular fashion because your joists are >200mm. They are or should be 400mm/16" centres so you don't have anything to fix them into - unless you just plan to screw them into the middle?

There's zero saving doing it yourself or having a go because your plasterer will patch it up before he starts for nothing, so leave him to it and have it done right first time.

And no, I wouldn't change my own brake pads. That's what mechanics are for and they might fall off if I did it.

I'm no mechanic but have changed the pads and discs on my car, rebuilt the VANOS, fixed the rocker header gasket, completed a full service numerous times, replaced the radiator, various coolant hoses, hardwired a dashcam... no wheels fell off, no one died... think I can manage to patch a hole in a ceiling. Hardly rocket science.

As a coder I do enjoy spending my time on coding forums telling people who are trying to learn to code and programme to not bother and get a real coder though....

I'm no mechanic but have changed the pads and discs on my car, rebuilt the VANOS, fixed the rocker header gasket, completed a full service numerous times, replaced the radiator, various coolant hoses, hardwired a dashcam... no wheels fell off, no one died... think I can manage to patch a hole in a ceiling. Hardly rocket science.

As a coder I do enjoy spending my time on coding forums telling people who are trying to learn to code and programme to not bother and get a real coder though....

So what you asking for then?

Anyway, you've got your answer off @Tinytom

Triangles. See. Glad you asked now, eh?

Seems you dont know how to patch holes either?

So what you asking for then?

Anyway, you've got your answer off @Tinytom

Triangles. See. Glad you asked now, eh?

I asked as a conformation. I do apologise that someone who is not a professorial spread dared to ask a question in the DIY section. I guess after 30 years of plastering practice I will master patching a hole in a ceiling like you. Only 29.9 years to go.

Was thinking the same, that's one of the dumbest replies I've ever read. You can only patch to a joist :tonto:

Only thing I've ever patched not to a joist - especially when the ceiling was being skimmed was one time the Electrician lost all his wires and bored about twenty holes looking for them.

He promised to fix them all up 'so's you'll never see', but then the customer paid him when I wasn't looking and he fcuked off quick sharp before I found out - the t**t.

On that occasion, I plugged the holes but it was a right ballache and I wished I hadn't.

Only thing I've ever patched not to a joist - especially when the ceiling was being skimmed was one time the Electrician lost all his wires and bored about twenty holes looking for them.

He promised to fix them all up 'so's you'll never see', but then the customer paid him when I wasn't looking and he fcuked off quick sharp before I found out - the t**t.

On that occasion, I plugged the holes but it was a right ballache and I wished I hadn't.
What you mean plugged the holes? All you have to do is cut a bit of board to fit the hole and screw abit of batten to fix it to. Pretty much every job the sparky just leaves all the holes they've left the c**ts

Steves just pretending he doesn’t know this, right? Steve?
Of course.

Are you telling me you'd fanny about on a ceiling that's being skimmed, screwing batten behind the board when you could chop out an extra 100mm and go to the joist?

Of course.

Are you telling me you'd fanny about on a ceiling that's being skimmed, screwing batten behind the board when you could chop out an extra 100mm and go to the joist?

No I’d scrim the c**t n fill it on first coat

Of course.

Yes, I've got about 10 pre cut bits of batten in my van ready for the next time it happens and a little offcut of board. Otherwise to fix it you need to go buy a sheet of board and waste an hour

Yes, I've got about 10 pre cut bits of batten in my van ready for the next time it happens and a little offcut of board. Otherwise to fix it you need to go buy a sheet of board and waste an hour

Well, I wouldn't for a 200mm hole. Sparkie damage yes but a hole that big, I'd go to the joist if the ceiling was being skimmed.

If it wasn't, I've got some pre tubbed filler stuff that will sand back nice and easy.

What you mean plugged the holes? All you have to do is cut a bit of board to fit the hole and screw abit of batten to fix it to. Pretty much every job the sparky just leaves all the holes they've left the c**ts
Fuk me at last someone who made a proper reply

I thought it was a plasterers forum for plasterers, and the diy section for plasterers looking for advice on diy projects not involving plastering, or am I wrong
surely giving away free advice to non plasterers is taking the bread out of our children's mouths.
Screwfix forum

Triangles !- one less cut, use the scraps to "lost board" behind the face, much easier and quicker than using battens.
I get arrogant IT T***s telling me its not rocket science all the time, then I have to fix their cock ups. Bolting and unbolting an engine is not a science or clever, plastering is an art...