Pigs Ear

Members online

Poynty

Hi all,

Fairly new DIY'er/hobbyist here. Done a bit of bonding out, a bit of skimming on smaller walls and although nowhere near professional, results are slowly getting better. However. recently I had my first proper disaster when attempting to skim an upstairs hallway wall (my own house). Here is a pic of the wall before the disaster:

wall.jpg

It is lathe and plaster which I understand would have been the technique used at the time of construction (around the 1910's I believe, give or take a decade).

As it is an older house I treated the existing cracks with easi-fill as you can see. Prior to skimming I gave a good coat of 2:5 pva and let it dry.

Area for plastering is approx 3.5m x 2.5m minus a doorway (off picture).

Problems started occurring during the first coat, where I had started (top right of wall, I'm a left hander) was already beyond firming up by the time I had finished the first coat at the other end of the wall. This went off much quicker than I have experienced in previous plastering attempts.

Being, on occasion, a massive cretin, I proceeded to apply a second coat and hope for the best. Things did not pan out.

Before final trowel areas were starting to crack, like snowflakes almost and rise away from the wall. Realising that things were not going to plan and would need a redo I scraped off about 50% of the plaster I had just applied but then lost hope as the plaster started to bond to the wall in some areas.

When the dust had settled I was left with a wall with some places with well bonded 5mm of two coat multi, some areas of bare wall, some areas of cracks and un-bonded plaster.

I guess the issue may well have been suction, the wall was bone dry prior to pva. If so, I clearly I under pva'd in spite of noticing this. Could have done with a few more coats I suspect.

I have been using a chisel to remove any loose multi-finish, but again, channeling my inner cretin, in the process sometimes gouging the previous wall.

I am wondering what the best course of action now is, barring paying someone who, unlike me, actually knows what they are doing.

I have two ideas, one is hack the whole lot off back to stud work then board and skim. Problems here include not being a sparky and not being confident to deal with the light switches but also there is a slight bow to the wall, unsure if this is due to untrue stud work or something else. Also means turning house in to a scene from an ebola outbreak movie to stop dust spreading.

Second idea is to chisel back where I can then somehow level out the wall. After it's leveled apply wickes primer or bondit to control the suction (they should do that if I understand correctly?) then give it another go at skimming.

Here is the current state of play:

current.jpg

Thanks for reading my tale of woe, I am keen to fix my own mess but would very much appreciate some guidance on how to proceed.

Oh and just to be down with the internet way of things:

inb4 "Should have paid a professional to do it"

Kind Regards,

Poynty

Hi all,

Fairly new DIY'er/hobbyist here. Done a bit of bonding out, a bit of skimming on smaller walls and although nowhere near professional, results are slowly getting better. However. recently I had my first proper disaster when attempting to skim an upstairs hallway wall (my own house). Here is a pic of the wall before the disaster:

View attachment 45285

It is lathe and plaster which I understand would have been the technique used at the time of construction (around the 1910's I believe, give or take a decade).

As it is an older house I treated the existing cracks with easi-fill as you can see. Prior to skimming I gave a good coat of 2:5 pva and let it dry.

Problems started occurring during the first coat, where I had started (top right of wall, I'm a left hander) was already beyond firming up by the time I had finished the first coat at the other end of the wall. This went off much quicker than I have experienced in previous plastering attempts.

Being, on occasion, a massive cretin, I proceeded to apply a second coat and hope for the best. Things did not pan out.

Before final trowel areas were starting to crack, like snowflakes almost and rise away from the wall. Realising that things were not going to plan and would need a redo I scraped off about 50% of the plaster I had just applied but then lost hope as the plaster started to bond to the wall in some areas.

When the dust had settled I was left with a wall with some places with well bonded 5mm of two coat multi, some areas of bare wall, some areas of cracks and un-bonded plaster.

I guess the issue may well have been suction, the wall was bone dry prior to pva. If so, I clearly I under pva'd in spite of noticing this. Could have done with a few more coats I suspect.

I have been using a chisel to remove any loose multi-finish, but again, channeling my inner cretin, in the process sometimes gouging the previous wall.

I am wondering what the best course of action now is, barring paying someone who, unlike me, actually knows what they are doing.

I have two ideas, one is hack the whole lot off back to stud work then board and skim. Problems here include not being a sparky and not being confident to deal with the light switches but also there is a slight bow to the wall, unsure if this is due to untrue stud work or something else. Also means turning house in to a scene from an ebola outbreak movie to stop dust spreading.

Second idea is to chisel back where I can then somehow level out the wall. After it's leveled apply wickes primer or bondit to control the suction (they should do that if I understand correctly?) then give it another go at skimming.

View attachment 45290

Thanks for reading my tale of woe, I am keen to fix my own mess but would very much appreciate some guidance on how to proceed.

Kind Regards,

Poynty
@John j would have done that wall for £30 on a Sunday morning and saved you the bother!
Remember suction can be your best friend but also your worst enemy in the Plastering game.

@John j would have done that wall for £30 on a Sunday morning and saved you the bother!
Remember suction can be your best friend but also your worst enemy in the Plastering game.

Sounds like a gir.... nevermind

EDIT: I should add I do get enjoyment out of trying this and would like to develop my limited skill. While I realise have a go heroes like me deprive the honest spread of work in some cases rest assured I don't foist my talents on others so to speak.

I.m in a bad mood. . Wanting to get a job rattled of . Went to timber yard for some timber to battern across stairs. To busy chatting to bloke . Drove home and left the f**k**s there
You dumb b*****d lol. They’ve probably been nicked by now, If that was round my way they’d still be there in the morning. :ROFLMAO:

You dumb b*****d lol. They’ve probably been nicked by now, If that was round my way they’d still be there in the morning. :ROFLMAO:
They were inside so should still be there . Only few quidss worth its just the time going back i could of done with out loosing

I found some timber this morning!
Wasnt mine was 3 50 pm i went . Tacing home for full english and she not done that either . So now i.m pissed three times as i.ll be in sunday and wanted to go boot sale. But its looking like long weekend week after

Wasnt mine was 3 50 pm i went . Tacing home for full english and she not done that either . So now i.m pissed three times as i.ll be in sunday and wanted to go boot sale. But its looking like long weekend week after
I’ve never been to a bootsale any advice? What do I look for Clarice Cliffe!

Hi all,

View attachment 45285

View attachment 45290

Kind Regards,

Poynty
Have another go!

Hi all,

View attachment 45285

View attachment 45290

Kind Regards,

Poynty
PvA the wall again a couple of times, if it dries completely within 5 minutes give it another coat. Go buy a bag of bonding and level up all the bits you've chiseled off. Wait for it to firm up with a few dark patches, and then skim the lot again.
That's assuming the old wall is solid, if not rip down and plasterboard

Admittedly, it's a bit drastic, but that remaining plaster could probably be removed (carefully!) with a floor scraper (unless the underlying lath & plaster is too fragile).

floor scraper.jpg

Thank you all for your replies, I will proceed with the scraping and give it another go. This time ill redouble my suction effort. Failing that, I'll just have to rent a new build as @Complete says.

Will update when done for more light-hearted mockery and ribbings. Be warned though my speed is not good and progress is best measured in terms of ice ages.

Hats off to you guys, it really is a demanding skill to learn and hard work to boot yet must be very satisfying when you can consistently pull it off.

EDIT: @Cockney1 Just seen your post. May go this route instead, thanks for your advice. Still some loose on the wall and progress with 30mm chisel is slow. I'm looking at it as a form of punishment. Like lines in school.

EDIT 2: @Robbo123 Ah your good self and @Cockney1 seem to be in agreement then. I shall proceed this way.

(btw I'm editing posts because I am a un-trustworthy newcomer and my posts must require adult inspection to make sure I'm not posting anything naughty. I am responding it just may take a while to appear I guess).

Last edited:
@Poynty just kill the suction then tight coat of bonding and 2 coats of multi finish. Christmas just came early for you my friend!........Oh no Wtf’s wrong with me I need a f**k**g lie down!!!
Should of just copied and pasted what I said :coffe:

You need to judge the suction on the wall mate, give it a coat and leave five min as said then touch it see how the glue is, if it’s bone dry then you know with your slow speed your going to have problems so give it another coat and wait five min again. Don’t be tempted to soak it in glue then go straight onto it as the plaster will slide around everywhere giving you more problems. 2/3 pva’s should do it.

Thank you all for your replies, I will proceed with the scraping and give it another go. This time ill redouble my suction effort. Failing that, I'll just have to rent a new build as @Complete says.

Will update when done for more light-hearted mockery and ribbings. Be warned though my speed is not good and progress is best measured in terms of ice ages.

@zombie Sort ye some good speed

Hats off to you guys, it really is a demanding skill to learn and hard work to boot yet must be very satisfying when you can consistently pull it off.

No its boring

EDIT 2: @Robbo123 Ah your good self and @Cockney1 seem to be in agreement then. I shall proceed this way.
Not read @Cockney1 Advice but did he say pva windows as well