plaster has blown after painting

steveh60

Hi

We had a room skimmed back in August, and have just got round to having it painted. Soon after the painting had been completed we noticed some bubbling on the surface of the wall.

We mentioned this to the painter and his team visited this morning. It seems that the plaster skim has not bonded to the wall and the addition of the paint has caused the plaster to delaminate. The wall is very chalky where the plaster is coming off the wall. It looks like the skim coat has bonded to the paint that was on the wall as opposed to the wall

struggling to decide what needs to be done, do we just get the blown patches filled, the plasterer has suggested that would suffice, or should we, and I hesitate to suggest this, remove the whole skim coat and start again from scratch?

Attachments

• plaster has blown after painting
    IMG-20240515-WA0002.jpg
    818.9 KB · Views: 83
  • plaster has blown after painting
    IMG-20240515-WA0000.jpg
    743.6 KB · Views: 89
I've patched up a few with blown areas but its better to get the lot off.
Seal
Skim

Surface adhesion and how solid it is needs to be tested before skimming to avoid this trouble

Hi

We had a room skimmed back in August, and have just got round to having it painted. Soon after the painting had been completed we noticed some bubbling on the surface of the wall.

We mentioned this to the painter and his team visited this morning. It seems that the plaster skim has not bonded to the wall and the addition of the paint has caused the plaster to delaminate. The wall is very chalky where the plaster is coming off the wall. It looks like the skim coat has bonded to the paint that was on the wall as opposed to the wall

struggling to decide what needs to be done, do we just get the blown patches filled, the plasterer has suggested that would suffice, or should we, and I hesitate to suggest this, remove the whole skim coat and start again from scratch?
What age is the property?

Looks like distemper....remove the lot should come of easily with a floor scraper...prime with Zinserr gardz and then with Bond It yellow grit...skim. paint, relax.

Hi

How much did you pay out of interest?

plasterer has responded!
It’s hard to respond to the quality of his work has it has been painted,and from the two pics you have put up the finish looks ok,the main and only problem was his lack of knowledge on how to prepare the walls for a skim finish,on a house from 1890, he obviously lacks the knowledge as all he had to do was rub his hands against wall and he would of got the chalky distemper paint that was used in old houses,your best bet is to try and shell it all off yourself not worth just patching it up and other areas blow along the line

Hi

ame thing happened to me last month during my room renovation. The plaster didn't bond well, causing bubbling after painting. Here's what worked for me:

1. Scrape off the delaminated areas.
  2. Re skim those spots Ensure proper wall preparation.
  3. Use a bonding primer before painting.
This fixed the issue without redoing the entire wall. Good luck!

It’s hard to respond to the quality of his work has it has been painted,and from the two pics you have put up the finish looks ok,the main and only problem was his lack of knowledge on how to prepare the walls for a skim finish,on a house from 1890, he obviously lacks the knowledge as all he had to do was rub his hands against wall and he would of got the chalky distemper paint that was used in old houses,your best bet is to try and shell it all off yourself not worth just patching it up and other areas blow along the line

He's got you in a cornered with that letter! He may not know how to do the job but has the gift of the gab :D. I have had this issue before with random patches on walls despite thorough preparation. Best thing to do is scrape back patches...prime patches with Zinsser Gardz...fill with Toupret interior filler...sand back patches and maybe a quick blast over the whole wall with an orbital sander Flex for example if required.

Question is would you let him back into your house?

Shame the plasterer didn't nip this one in the bud at an early stage...if you are not happy it should be resolved ASAP.

He's got you in a cornered with that letter! He may not know how to do the job but has the gift of the gab :D. I have had this issue before with random patches on walls despite thorough preparation. Best thing to do is scrape back patches...prime patches with Zinsser Gardz...fill with Toupret interior filler...sand back patches and maybe a quick blast over the whole wall with an orbital sander Flex for example if required.

Agree was a well articulate letter put together well

No not a chance